Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: usb device not recognized (mouse)  (Read 2776 times)

tamfl24

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    usb device not recognized (mouse)
    « on: December 31, 2010, 08:35:41 PM »
    I am using windows 7 and I've never had this problem before. My USB wireless mouse has worked perfectly for the past year. Suddenly, today, I discovered my mouse doesn't work anymore and it says:

USB Device Not Recognized--unknown device.

I thought, maybe my mouse is broken. So I plugged my mouse into another laptop (with vista) and it works! So my mouse isn't broken...I also plugged in a new mouse into my computer and the same error message comes up. This is strange...it sounds like something's wrong with my computer? What can I do?

I already tried rebooting it but that didn't solve the problem.  i hv also done a system restore......

i have tried to plug in other usb items and it is not reading anything and this stupid thing keeps popping up saying it doesnt recognize it and nothing is plugged in

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: usb device not recognized (mouse)
    « Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 09:58:46 PM »
    If other USB devices are not working...the problem is either the hardware or Windows 7 lost a driver.
    To be cautious, assume something has gone wrong with the whole system. Maybe not. But be sure you have some kind of backup backup plan. Odd behavior sometimes is the only warning you get.

But most likely thing  is the wireless mouse is failing for some reason.
    Below is a similar problem from a MS forum.
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/b4688644-d04e-4210-a0b1-c2f357b62ea6
    One user over there thinks other USB devices might interfere. I really don't know.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 06:27:56 AM »
    Open Device Manager - any errors?

tamfl24

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 07:35:16 AM »
      i fixed it...... not sure if i should have done it this way or not but it worked.  I read somewhere to take ur battery out and hold the power button down for 30 seconds then put the battery back in and power on, it worked :)  i hope it was ok to do????

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 07:38:59 AM »
      Sure, it's fine. You just "cleared" the capacitors. Glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for posting back - and Happy New Year :)