Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Does thermal grease dry out?  (Read 23075 times)

Harryh

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Does thermal grease dry out?
« on: January 02, 2011, 01:03:58 PM »
Hello,

Does thermal grease on a CPU dry out? If so, how long does that generally take?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
Re: Does thermal grease dry out?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 01:27:09 PM »
that's a good question. I know for a fact that thermal pads turn to dust. Don't know about pastes.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 01:32:17 PM »
Some thermal greases may dry out over a period of time. They can set hard and make it hard to take off the heat sink. If that happens, you could damage the processor if you force it. In that case run the processor for a few minutes to soften the grease. The period of time before drying out would be years. Most machines will go through their normal lifetime with the original application. Reasons to reapply are when removing/installing the heatsink, if working on an overheating problem, or if the pc is older than you are.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 01:35:27 PM »
oldest computer I had was a year older then me...

but it was too old to need any special cooling solution  ;D

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 01:40:46 PM »

My 1995 P120 didn't have a heatsink, however I am older than 15 (as everybody knows.)

Harryh

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 01:45:47 PM »
Thanks folks,

Sounds like I can expect the grease to last for a few years at least. And if I ever go to remove the CPU cooler, do so with care.

Harry

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 05:27:29 PM »
I've got a tube of Silicone Heat Sink Compound that's older than the 1st Personal Computer.  It's still good & I have used it on a couple of PCs in the past few years.

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 08:00:44 PM »
Good subject Harryh.

For further discussion,  I agree thermal grease dries out over a period of time but does this affect the ability of it to transfer heat as efficeintly as when it's fresh? I guess that may depend on the type used (silicone-based, ceramic-based,  metal-based, ect.). I don't know?

My oldest computer is much younger than I am, and neither of us need any special cooling solution. We both cannot seem to perform well enough any more to get heated up.  :(  ;D

Citizen Swooboo

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 09:51:02 PM »
    My PC is four years old.  As of two years ago when I upgraded some hardware, the grease was still in its semi-liquid state.  Just last month, as my computer approached the four-year mark, I took apart the computer again to clean it out, and the grease between the CPU and heat-sink had turned to dust.  Although I have not had overheating issues, I went ahead and reapplied some grease to be safe.

I do not know what type the original grease was to speculate on which varieties may break down.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 10:03:30 PM »
    Tooth paste dries out.  :'(

Salmon Trout

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 02:39:33 AM »
    Some thermal greases can dry out to a kind of powder in which case there will be air spaces appearing in the layer between the cpu and the heatsink. This will worsen the heat conduction and would eventually lead to a drift upwards in average temperatures. If I had a 5 to 7 year old computer that was overheating, (If I decided to fix it at all) I might well try and see if the heatsink compound was dried out. But it would not be the first thing I suspected. I think some people over estimate the role that thermal grease plays in CPU cooling.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 03:59:05 AM »
    I think some people over estimate the role that thermal grease plays in CPU cooling.

I didn't mean that thermal compound doesn't matter or that you don't need to be careful how you apply it, I mean that properly applied thermal compound can be left for years and if I had a PC that was seriously overheating I would be investigating other things first such as case ventilation, clogged fan/heatsink blades, fan condition and operation, etc.

talontromper

Hopeful
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 05:51:34 AM »
    I know the importance of good thermal compound for the transference of heat between the heat sink and cpu. My question is when i do hardware intensive work on my hp laptop (I.E. Revit doing a rendering, or Starcraft 2 (not really work but applies)) with an AMD dual core processor it can heat up the core to anywhere from 160~200 degrees. Does that mean i have bad thermal compound? (yes the fans work, and yes it is properly ventilated while in operation)
    "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 06:04:37 AM »
    Does that mean i have bad thermal compound?

if I had a PC that was seriously overheating I would be investigating other things first such as case ventilation, clogged fan/heatsink blades, fan condition and operation, etc.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 06:13:51 AM »
    160~200 degrees

If you mean degrees Fahrenheit (the temperature scale they still use in the USA) then that equates to 71 to 93 degrees Celsius (the temperature scale they use everywhere else). This is TOO HOT for an AMD dual core cpu, I think. Talontromper, I see this thread was started by harryh, so I think your question is slightly different.

From what I can gather, some HP laptops with AMD cpus do run hot. (the notorious dv9000z with the AMD mobo and the nVidia Go 6150 GPU is one such) It is a problem in hot places such as Hawaii. Before I went to the extent of dismantling the laptop (never a trivial task) I would check out a few things such as

- is Cool 'n' Quiet enabled

- is the laptop being operated laying flat or is the back raised up a bit (this can help)

- is the use I am putting the laptop to suitable for its design and capabilities

You can get after market external notebook coolers such as this aluminium one with a fan inside

talontromper

Hopeful
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 06:30:29 AM »
    Cool and quiet? It sits on a external cooler already. Actually i just start another thread, I don't want to jack this thread  Here is the thread
    "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

Harryh

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
    « Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 07:52:32 AM »
    This is what Artic Silver says:

Arctic Silver 5, Céramique, Arctic Alumina and Matrix thermal compounds are
    greases and have no adhesive qualities. They will never dry or set and cannot be
    used to glue a heatsink to a CPU core.

Thanks folks,
    Harry