Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: exe files and links are not working after restart  (Read 2382 times)

gremme

exe files and links are not working after restart
« on: August 10, 2005, 05:32:40 AM »
I've had this problem for quite awhile. I've got windows XP norton antivirus and lavasoft adwatch installed. After each restart I can't click .exe-files and links and programs that autostart won't start.  Just before startup a window popups which says something strange like "|||#|" or other strange symbols, this window I can't close only press ok then windows starts up with the problems.
To temporary solve the problem I now use the files xp_regfile, xp_exe_fix, linkfile_fix which I downloaded from http://www.dougknox.com/ but when I restart the problem repeats itself.

Does anyone know what it might be or how I solve it

many thnx Karl

Raptor

Re: exe files and links are not working after rest
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 07:25:53 AM »
Do any of your scanners report viruses and other malware?

pcdoc4christ

Re: exe files and links are not working after rest
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 07:01:20 PM »
Gremme:

Yep, virus is highly likely.  Probably one of the programs you downloaded and installed was infected.

If a antivirus program cannot find and remove the infection, you may want to reinstall the operating system.  When Setup asks what to do, i'd suggest having it format the partition (that is, the C: drive) with NTFS.  

You will lose all of your files, but that is better than reinstalling an operating system that will only become infected again.

Then install a good antivirus program and update the virus definitions and scan for viruses often.

If you don't use a good antivirus program, some malicious code will eat you alive (like that monster in the Star Wars movie who swallowed Boba Fett)!  ;D

Regards,
Doc

« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 07:08:14 PM by pcdoc4christ »