Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: monitoring one application resources  (Read 2391 times)

waineck

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    monitoring one application resources
    « on: January 04, 2011, 11:36:12 AM »
    I have a question about my problem with monitoring usage of specific program - in my case VirtualBox,
    VMware workstation and Microsoft Virtual PC. I want to monitor how much of computer resources is application using during
    some work in virtual computer - guest. I need that to work on my host Windows 7. I need a graphic line view of usage and text. Problem is that
    task manager is showing just total usage of all processes, in resource monitor you can select which process you want to monitor but it only shows for
    60 second and doesn't have option of saving graph or text log files. The only one that i found was AnVir task manager but it's showing some weird
    numbers and graphs if you compare to resource monitor. Performance monitor in windows has options of selecting what to monitor, it's not my
    favourite choice, but you can't select just to monitor one application only full computer statistic. My question to you is how to monitor just
    one application resources (CPU,RAM and disk usage - read/write) in windows performance monitor or how to monitor that in any other program?

truenorth

Guru

Re: monitoring one application resources
      « Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 03:34:20 PM »
      This one does a lot more than you have asked for but appears to do what you want as a part of it. (and it's free)
      http://dottech.org/freeware-reviews/7015
      Others may offer additional suggestions,truenorth

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 03:43:30 PM »
      Process Explorer

right-click on a process, choose properties, and then you can use the "Performance Graph" tab to get information that pertains to only that process.

Process Monitor Is another tool, which is rather advanced but depending on what you are trying to do may be useful.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

waineck

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 08:05:10 AM »
        Process Tamer is showing just cpu usage without ram and disk activities and does't have graphs of usage. I've tried Process Monitor and explorer before. Process explorer is good but it can't save the graph like Performance monitor in Win 7. I can make a prin't screen but refresh rate is too high to catch activity of one hour or more. And it can't save usage in text. Maybe it would be better if I use some program that can make a log file of usage of cpu, ram and disk activity (in selectable refresh rate, maybe minimum of 1 sec) and then export that as excel file or something similar (where I can make graphs out of numbers) so I can have exact view on usage of every second and then i can compare to other statistic. I actually have to compare statistic of usage VirtualBox , Vmware and Virtual PC while they operating. With program that could give me exact statistic in every second  I could compare which is using more system resources while doing some operations. Anyone have an idea what program could that be?