Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problem with .mdb file  (Read 3141 times)

Linguist64

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    problem with .mdb file
    « on: January 02, 2011, 05:23:56 PM »
    Hi there,

I have been sent two .mdb files as attachments. The first one is 1156K and opens without any problem in Microsoft Access. The second one is 124K, and will not open with Access. It appears in the Access sidebar as a .dbf and when I click on it I get a message saying that the filename is an invalid path. I have described this problem to the person who sent me the file, and he has resent it. However,  the same thing is still happening. The sender has told me that the document is "linked to an old Borland Database that is not longer in use".

I'd be grateful if someone could suggest how I might be able to open the document, or if opening it is even a possibility. I have no previous experience with sending or receiving database attachments. I've asked a couple of colleagues about the issue though, and they have been unable to help.

Thanks in advance!

Stephen 

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: problem with .mdb file
    « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 10:45:06 PM »
    I can't guarantee this will work but I'm suggesting you try OpenOffice.org; it has a database module which simply called Base.  See http://www.openoffice.org/product/base.html.  To use it, i you'll need to download (see http://download.openoffice.org/index.html) and install the full OpenOffice.org office suite.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 08:28:17 AM »
      If you do NOT wish to add the "open Office" software to your computer just to view this file perhaps another way of the sender sending it to you would achieve the objective. I do not know what kind of data is within this file. But let's say it is either print or picture (or both) and all you want to do is view it as opposed to working with it. Then have your sender do a screen capture with the file open on his computer and then send that to you. It will come to you in a different file format than that which is giving you trouble. Hope this helps,truenorth

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 12:42:05 PM »
      I do not know what kind of data is within this file. But let's say it is either print or picture (or both) and all you want to do is view it as opposed to working with it. Then have your sender do a screen capture with the file open on his computer and then send that to you.
      Eh, that's highly unlikely to work well in this case since the "data" is neither "print or picture", it's data in a database.  Database software is designed to sort data is many ways, extract reports, etc.  The entire functionality of a database would be lost by a screen print. 

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 02:26:18 PM »
        soybean, yes of course - i believe i alluded to that as a loss factor of the suggestion. But if the only requirement was to "view" rather than "work with" then i believed it would have allowed that. Only the O/P can answer whether it would have sufficed their need or not. Perhaps it would not. truenortth

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 09:03:55 PM »
        Yes, to "view" rather than "work with", your suggestion might be workable.  However, if the database has thousands of records in it, this technique would require numerous screen captures and then the recipient would have to try to piece them together.  The larger the number of records in the database, the more cumbersome this would become.  But, for a small number of records and to only view those records, the screen capture technique might suffice.

Another idea came to mind.  Most, if not all, database software has some export capability. If the sender has the software used to create that database file, I would ask them to export to a text file or CSV (Comma Separated Value) file and send that file.  It could then be imported into OfficeOffice Base or Microsoft Access.  It could also be imported into a spreadsheet (Excel or OpenOffice Calc).

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 07:41:48 AM »
          Wouldn't it be nice if the O/P would come back and enlighten us some more as to the requirements. I made the screen capture suggestion on the basis of the relatively small size of the one that they could not open . But certainly as you state the sender undoubtedly has more control as to methods of creation now that the sender undoubtedly knows the situation at the receiving end. It is so frustrating that posts are generated/suggestions are made/ and we never hear back from the O/P.truenorth

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          « Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 10:04:39 AM »
          The sender has told me that the document is "linked to an old Borland Database that is not longer in use".

The dbf file is not "linked" to a old borland database  that is no longer in use.

it is a borland database.

Access cannot open a DBASE (dbf) database, it can only  "link" to them. Chances are the larger database either has a table that is linked to the DBF, or it used to have a table that linked into the DBF (but as the sender stated is "no longer in use").

if you really really want to open the file, you might have some success with this:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/access-help/creating-an-access-database-from-a-dbase-file-HA001054649.aspx

The above requires that you have a "BDE" installed (Borland Database engine) Don't ask me what that means, I'm not really sure. I imagine it's a ODBC data source. Another way is to use the File->Get External Data->Import command to Import the database.

Either way, I suspect the file itself is either already linked in with the access database, or is merely a vestigial remnant from a time that it was linked to the access database.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Linguist64

Topic Starter

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 07:46:28 PM »
            Hi Guys

Thanks for all your help. I apologise for the delay in getting back to you, but all your suggestions are much appreciated.

I had previously tried to open the file with Open Office, but that didn't seem to work. The screen capture idea might be good enough, as I think just seeing the data should be sufficient. I'm going to suggest the idea to the sender to see if it's workable from his point of view.

I'm to have a look at BC_Programmer's link now to see if that works.

Thanks again

Stephen