Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hughesnet and Linksys connectivity  (Read 7065 times)

fovfr421

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hughesnet and Linksys connectivity
    « on: February 10, 2011, 10:48:03 AM »
    I have the Hughesnet modem HN9000 and am trying to connect it up with a Linksys wireless router ( I believe it is a WRT54GS ).  I have followed the common directions of turning off the DHCP of the router and resetting the local IP address to 192.168.0.254.  After completing that process, I connect the cable from the Hughesnet modem to #1 on the Linksys router.  I connect a computer to #2 of the Linksys router and bingo, it works.  The wireless is set up and listening.  As soon as I make another connection, either wireless or by plugging into #3 or #4, the power light flashes and the wireless drops!

Can someone please help me out as to what I am missing.....

Thanks.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Hughesnet and Linksys connectivity
    « Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 02:46:50 PM »
    On the back of the Linksys router there should be a slot marked Internet put the cable coming from the Hughesnet modem HN9000 there.

Since you have made changes to the Linksys router will need to access the routers configuration screen and go to the section where it can be reset to factory default.  (Best to start from a fresh configuration than try this then that ect...)

Activate the wireless if you will be using then try a connection.
    "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 02:19:20 AM »
    the local IP address to 192.168.0.254
    Who told you to do that? Was that in the instructions?

fovfr421

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 01:30:55 PM »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 03:24:19 PM »
      Thanks for the reply. The link you gave is on the Crisco site. If the information was not correct it would can been caught by the moderator. So my reaction was wrong.

But I have never before heard of setting the router to an address  with 254 on a LAN.

As you already know, if two devices on the LAN have the same IP at the same time, you will have a conflict. So each device must have its own assignment.

On my LAN I set my two slave routers, switches, to a lower address in the accessible range of the gateway router. (Which is usually from 2 to 51 for personal consumer grade routers. Imagine a home network with 50 PCs!)

On my system 192.168.1.1 is the default gateway, DNS and DHCP. The modem is at 192.168.1.254 and can not be changed.

The two other routers are at
      and
      Which I had to set manual, directly. After you change the IP of a box you can not get to it unless you use the new IP you just assigned.

The 192.168.1.1 is the address most often used by the main router. But 192.168.1.254 is often the modem address when you have a separate modem.

I would not go against want the guys at Cisco say. But you could try and see if that makes any difference.

If I nan wrong, which I often am, please tell me.

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
      May need to clone your MAC address to your router.

Your computer has a hardware address called a MAC that never changes, and therefore uniquely identifies your computer. When your Internet Service Provider sets up your connection, they register your computer’s MAC address with their system. From that point on, your computer must identify to their system with its MAC in order to be allowed access to the Internet. Since your computer’s MAC is a unique address, any router that you might later set up as an intermediary between your broadband modem and computer(s) will have a different MAC. Your router’s MAC will be unknown to your ISP, and so they may deny Internet connectivity to your router.
      "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 12:18:54 AM »
      May need to clone your MAC address to your router.
      Yes, that works.

Crisco has a program that will do most of the configuration for you. It uses MAC address to sort things out. It has a free trail. You do not have to buy it. Just try it to see if it helps.

http://www.purenetworks.com/

fovfr421

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 10:34:08 AM »
        Thanks all.  I will give these ideas a try and post the results.  I am out of town on travel, so it will be a few days before I can test these suggestions out.