Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP Home Laptop Dell  (Read 2541 times)

tgs

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows XP Home Laptop Dell
    « on: January 07, 2011, 03:13:49 PM »
     Problem I can open the system only comes up with the one username Blank password no other options ie new user when into the system unable to make any changes at all message says no administrator rights go to control panel
    again just the one name unable to add any other when going into diagnostics error code 1000-0146 message says unit 0:IDF Status failed Status byte =64 control code=1MSG=No Additional sense information hope this makes sense I am a complete  this laptop was given to me by daughter who cannot remember any passwords for admin rights please be gentle HELP
    TGS ???

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Windows XP Home Laptop Dell
    « Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 03:22:24 PM »
    Your post is absolutely unintelligible. Try again. Use some punctuation. Make it easy for us to understand what you are saying.

tgs

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 06:04:36 PM »
      Sorry I will try again, When I turn on  my PC it runs through the setup process until it gets to the user name to log on, it shows just the one icon name there is not another icon for Guest. I then click on the named icon it then takes me to the username and password boxes I do not have to enter a password just leave password box clear, click on username to open windows system but now that I am into windows I cannot change or use any programs I get the message saying I do not have any administrator rights and to contact the administrator.
      I wish to be able to get into the system to format the HDD so as to put on a new operating system.
      I Have tried when switching on the computer pressing the F12 key to take me onto Diagnostics  where I get the (error code 1000-0146 message says unit 0:IDF Status failed Status byte =64 control code=1MSG=No Additional sense information)
      hope this Now makes sense I am a complete novice  this laptop was given to me by daughter who cannot remember any passwords for admin rights please be gentle HELP

TGS  ???

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 06:18:54 PM »
      1.  I wish to be able to get into the system to format the HDD so as to put on a new operating system.
      2.  I Have tried when switching on the computer pressing the F12 key to take me onto Diagnostics  where I get the (error code 1000-0146 message says unit 0:IDF Status failed Status byte =64 control code=1MSG=No Additional sense information) ...
      1.  You cannot reinstall Windows from within Windows, so no need to boot or log on.
      2.  CTRL+F11 will access the Dell Restore Partition (if it exists on your computer).  This will restore it to the "as shipped" configuration.  Don't know that that error message means.
      http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/dellmbr.htm
      Also; Go to:  www.support.dell.com
      Enter the Dell Service Tag; everything you want to know about the laptop will be there.

tgs

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 11:39:37 AM »
        many thanks for the replies with your help I have now formatted my hard drive and re-installed windows XP home thanks a lots guys really appreciate the time and effort you give to some one like me a complete novice
        TGS :D