Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: GUID / MBR partition scheme woes  (Read 6986 times)

Diatech

Topic Starter

Rookie

• who, me?
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
GUID / MBR partition scheme woes
« on: January 10, 2011, 02:29:27 PM »
Hello,

I am installing OSX on my hard drive, which already has windows installed (I won't go into details, but yes I know that it isn't possible under "normal" circumstances to install OS X on a non-MAC computer. I will say as much that I have purchased a legal, valid copy of OSX, however).

My Issue is, it isn't possible (afaik) to convert a hard drive using the MBR partition scheme to GUID partition table without deleting all the partitions on it, effectively losing all data stored on those partitions.

I have a windows partition that I do not want to lose. My idea was to schrink the NTFS partition to a smaller one (just large enough to fit all my data) and copying it to an external hard drive.

Then, I could delete all my partitions, reformat the drive using the GUID partition table scheme, install OSX on one of the new partitions I would create, and then finally copy the Windows Partition back onto the drive and expand it to its original size.

My concerns:

1. What is the best **FREE** Partition management/Backup software that I could use (must be bootable) to accomplish this?
2. Will I be able to copy over the MBR type windows partition to the hard drive after its been converted to a GUID Partition Table Drive?

My Thoughts:

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread218597.html

This article explains using a utility to "sync MBR to GPT" but is that necesary? AFAIK, Windows 7 64 bit supports GPT, so if I don't need to sync it in anyway, and it can work be transfered regardless of the partiton schemes, that would be great.

If it does have to by synced.. how would I accomplish this?

I just want to install OSX alongside my pre existing windows partition, without losing my data or reinstalling windows.

Thanks for any help in advance
Diatech

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: GUID / MBR partition scheme woes
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 02:56:44 PM »
Well, it's all *censored*. May I offer negative remarks? My experience with the GUID is only with Windows and Apple. The experience was not very happy.

What works best for me is to use two or more hard drives in my system. There is an option in the BIOS to select either drive to boot after the memory test has completed.

The prices for hard disk drives have come down a lot, and for the operating system you don't really need much more than about 20 GB anyway. Programs and data can be stored on another partition on another hard disk drive.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 03:56:39 PM »
Ignore the above post, if you wish. I don't believe he knows what he is offering negative remarks for.

as for GPT, I cannot say I've ever used it. Speaking generally one powerful Partition utility you could try would be something like Easeus Partition Manager which I believe provides a method with which to burn a disk and deal with the specifics after booting to the disk. In your case I guess all you really need is a way to shrink a partition, which that tool provides. (in fact, you could also use GPARTED to resize a partition). Then do your copy, and reinitialize the entire disk using OSX setup (although I must admit to having never seen the OSX setup, I would hope it provides at least some advanced capabilities whereby you can delete existing partitions.

More to the point, however, is the question of why you need a GPT?

You note in your first paragraph:

I am installing OSX on my hard drive, which already has windows installed (I won't go into details, but yes I know that it isn't possible under "normal" circumstances to install OS X on a non-MAC computer. I will say as much that I have purchased a legal, valid copy of OSX, however).
You are right, it's not normally possible. It is very difficult but certainly doable. However the question wouldn't be one of wether the copy of  OSX is legal, but wether you are using it legally, (as in, following the OSX terms of use); As noted in the Apple EULA:

Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so.

Your stated goal certainly conflicts with the bolded section.

However, all that said, your question is more directly simply asking for a recommendation for a partition manager software, and  it would be silly to refuse to provide a recommendation based solely on my interpretation of your stated intentions.

Regarding your second question: I haven't a clue wether you can copy a MBR partition to a GPT partition- or, to be more precise, wether Easeus provides the ability to do so. If I was undertaking something like this, I would probably go into it assuming that it can and deal with anything that comes up; no doubt there are in fact tools that can be used to copy a MBR partition to a GPT partition but perhaps by clouded understanding of exactly the difference (is GPT just the partition table itself or does it dictate differences in the actual partition data type of thing).
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Diatech

Topic Starter

Rookie

• who, me?
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
Thank you for your answer BC_Programmer;

Thinking about, you are correct. I am going to try it and deal with any issues that arise. If its completely incompatable by design, then I will simply erase and use EASUS to move the hard drive as it was originally.

As far as your question regarding why I need GPT; It is necesary to install OS X.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 09:57:41 PM »
Everybody should read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
Except BC_Programmer.