Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop CPU replacement  (Read 4792 times)

trevorpe

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Laptop CPU replacement
« on: January 10, 2011, 02:54:21 PM »
Hello,

Just a couple quick questions.

I found a laptop that I may buy as a project (and for my own use if it works).
The guy tried to flash the BIOS to a new version and it failed.  I advised him not to flash the BIOS since it's risky business (he agreed pretty easily on that one).  He doesn't know how to fix it and doesn't want the time nor money spent, so he's selling it.

As for my question, for the older S1 socket, I saw something like S1g1 and S1g2.  Is there a difference?  More importantly, one I should be aware of?

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5101AWLMi, and from what I Googled (thank god for Google), I should be able to flash the BIOS and get it running.  If so, could I replace the CPU with a CPU S1g2 socket?  I'm not sure if I will or not (I'll be using a Linux distro, most likely the same distro I'm using to type this).  The 2.0GHz CPU that's in there might be fine, but I kind of like the extra power and it's not going to break the bank to do it.

Thanks.
Trevor P.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Laptop CPU replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 04:30:06 PM »
Code: [Select]
As for my question, for the older S1 socket, I saw something like S1g1 and S1g2.  Is there a difference?  More importantly, one I should be aware of?The newer CPU has more pins.

trevorpe

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 06:00:17 PM »
So far, what I've seen, the S1g1 socket and S1g2 socket have the same number of pins, but different configuration.

Would a Turion 64 X2 TL-56 be compatible, it's an S1 socket (the one in it now is a Turion 64 MK-36, which on the page below says it's an S1 socket)?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Turion_microprocessors

Now obviously, Wikipedia isn't the %100 reliable source, but on that page, it specifically states the sockets ("S1g1", "S1", "S1G2", etc.), so in my mind, the CPU's that it says S1 are the same socket.  Am I right to assume that?
Trevor P.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 06:20:30 PM »
http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=34&threadid=119960
Says do not put the new CPU inn to older socket.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 06:28:30 PM »
1.  The guy tried to flash the BIOS to a new version and it failed.
2.  He doesn't know how to fix it and doesn't want the time nor money spent, so he's selling it.
3.   I should be able to flash the BIOS and get it running. ...
1.  Define "failed".
2.  If the BIOS has been flashed improperly, you won't be able to reflash it or fix it, it's soldered to the laptop motherboard.
3.  If old BIOS is not functional, you will be unable to flash it.