Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP! .pub files converted to .doc  (Read 2397 times)

lfoster

HELP! .pub files converted to .doc
« on: January 10, 2011, 09:38:44 AM »
HELP!!!!!
I was running Pub 98 (I know old!) and had the trial version of MS office 2007 - I always clicked cancel during setup as I did not have the set up key.....
anyway yesterday I noticed that none of my files would open as .pub (where they were originally saved) but they were now all .doc......since I dont have the full version it only lets me view them and do nothing else (print, edit, etc)
I want to get my .pub files back in publisher 98 NOT Office 2007
I was told to uninstall office as I did but now the saved files are still appearing as .doc but with the notepad icon instead of "w" icon...
If I right click the file to open it with Pub 98 I get an error saying that such and such file is not a valid win32 application!
Should I do a system restore or what ---
please help!
Thanks!
laura

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: HELP! .pub files converted to .doc
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:44:53 PM »
Looks like the modern office converted your publisher files. Only fix now would be to open those publisher docs and  save them in older format for 98. Problem now is you need a fully functional office 2007 to be able to save those files back to Publisher 98. If you know of a friend with a registered copy of Office 2007 or newer, you can use their system to open and save them back to 1998 format as .PUB files instead of .DOC's. (OR) I havent tried this, so it is hypothetical, but you may be able to install Open Office for FREE, then open and save them back to old format. I myself made the upgrade from Office 2000 to Open Office and Open Office is great. I have used it to open and edit old Excel 97, 2000 documents. But I havent used it for Publisher so...that is why this is hypothetical, but may work for you and its FREE!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: HELP! .pub files converted to .doc
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 04:13:57 PM »
...acquired by Sun Microsystems in August 1999. The source code of the suite was released in July 2000 with the aim of reducing the dominant market share of Microsoft Office by providing a free and open alternative; later versions of StarOffice are based upon OpenOffice.org with additional proprietary components.[8] The OpenOffice.org project is primarily sponsored by Oracle Corporation (having acquired Sun Microsystems). Other major corporate contributors include Novell, Red Hat, IBM, Google and others....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org
You should download it from:
http://openoffice.org
Some alternative sites available, but are not part of Oracle or Sun.