Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Green computing. Why should you care?  (Read 21820 times)

mroilfield

Mentor
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Green computing. Why should you care?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 06:18:10 AM »
This bring to mind all the people that want to use either hybrid or totally electric cars. Yes if we switch to electric cars we won't be using fossil fuels in them as much but on the other hand you have to stop and think about where all the electricity is going to come from to power these cars?

Hydro electric power isn't sufficient enough as the availability to hydro electric power is no where near what it needs to be.

Most people complain when they see big windmills being put up as they either mess up the view that no one noticed until the windmill was put there or they are a hazard to birds.

Just mention putting a nuclear power plant any where with in 1,000 miles of a city and watch how many people complain or threaten to sue some one.

Solar energy just isn't feasible for a multitude of reason. If it was feasible right now there would already be totally electric cars that run off of nothing but solar enegery

That just leaves us with good ole fossil fuels. So go ahead and have every one drive an electric car that way we can pump all the fossil fuels we were using into the additional power plants that we will need to have.

You can't fix Stupid!!!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 09:49:13 AM »
Actually, now t hat I think about it, I truly don't understand the drive to "conserve power" or how,say, your computer using less power will cut down emissions.

It will undoubtedly cut a few dollars off your electric bill every year, but the thing a lot of the penchants don't understand is that no electric power plant "stores" the energy it generates; it generates the power, it goes into the grid, and it either get's used, or not. Wether your computer is taking 650 watts or 1000 Watts doesn't make a difference; for a coal power plant, the same amount of coal will still be burned, and the same amount of emissions will still go into the atmosphere. In fact it's utterly ridiculous to think that using less power directly translates into reduced emissions because First, a lot of power plants don't even HAVE emissions, and second, the aforementioned fact that the power is either used or wasted.

The power that isn't used because of people "going green" isn't "saved", it's wasted. And isn't the entire point of the "green" initiative to reduce waste?

The only incentive to use less power is to reduce your electric bill. Anything else is just superfluous "feel-good" nonsense that gives people a false sense of fulfilling some ecological responsibility.

What makes this most curious for me is that there are in fact people who think that "conserved" power is literally conserved- that it somehow "prevents more emissions" from going into the atmosphere. This is no different then the nonsense about "buying books kills trees". Cutting down the trees kills them. The fact that the tree is then used to create pulp and then paper and then that paper is used to create books doesn't make the purchase of the end-product in any way an acceptance of responsibility for any ecological fallout from the first few; and I might point out also that most of the people that have a problem with paper books seem to have no similar issues with their parent's heirloom dresser or china cabinet. They don't say "sorry father, I cannot accept this; I just cannot stand the guilt of the fine cherry tree that was cut down to make this table". It's nonsense. The tree(s) is/are already dead. Not buying a book doesn't magically save a tree. It just makes you look stupid for not understanding basic logic. Besides, the industries themselves are not evil clearcutting chainsaw weilding maniacal lumberjacks who fell a mountain worth of trees in a single day on their own; trees are this thing known as a "renewable resource". The magic of a "renewable resource" is that they grow back. They aren't gone forever.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 09:59:17 AM »

I was under the impression that power stations can reduce their output. That they can turn this output up when, say, more people get home from work and turn on TVs etc etc. That they keep the output at a certain level so everybody has enough and they know how much is being used. If the useage goes up then the output goes up. If this is correct (and i'm not saying it is, it is just my understanding of it) the surely if people use less energy then the output will be less and they can burn less fuel to create said electricity.
11 cheers for binary !

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 10:54:06 AM »
I was under the impression that power stations can reduce their output. That they can turn this output up when, say, more people get home from work and turn on TVs etc etc. That they keep the output at a certain level so everybody has enough and they know how much is being used. If the useage goes up then the output goes up. If this is correct (and i'm not saying it is, it is just my understanding of it) the surely if people use less energy then the output will be less and they can burn less fuel to create said electricity.
Hydro plants can control the output. Coal burner plants with strong emissions  can not readily control output levels.  Or the emissions can be worse if you try to improve efficiency. You try to make it better and it gets worse.

Depends on design.
http://www.energyjustice.net/coal/wastecoal/
As to solar power, there have major improvements i the past twenty years. Maybe we should all switch to solar pored computers. If you have a panel that can deliver over 300 watts on a sunny day, you could surf in the sunshine and not use a bit of CO2 fuel.
Calculate Solar Panel Output and Solar Panel System Inverter Sizes

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 11:04:35 AM »
Maybe we should all switch to solar pored computers. If you have a panel that can deliver over 300 watts on a sunny day, you could surf in the sunshine and not use a bit of CO2 fuel.

ha ha, i live in Britain
11 cheers for binary !

Salmon Trout

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 12:07:31 PM »
ha ha, i live in Britain

I would use a solar panel installation to charge a battery and use an inverter to get AC, and sell back the excess to the power company. If a 2.2 kW system is eligible to receive the Feed In Tariff it could generate savings and income of around £900 per year, at a cost of about 12 grand. That's a pretty good return at the moment.

The map shows the amount of energy, in kilowatt hours (kWh - the unit that mains electricity is sold in), that a 1 kW array of solar panels angled at the optimum angle will generate over an average year in the UK and Ireland.

Further north, the sun is a little lower in the sky, which means that it takes a longer path through the atmosphere so that less energy reaches the ground. So, in the Shetlands, as you can see, you're going to get less energy than average from your solar array - around 750 kWh per kW per year. But in Cornwall you should be able to generate approx 1000 kWh per kW per year.

Cloudiness also makes a difference, so the east coast of Scotland is a little better than the west coast.

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 12:11:43 PM »
And what do you think happens to the PC's once they die in Africa? Having worked in a few African countries I can guarantee you they don't fix them up and ship to some other poor continent.

You are better off taking a PC to a place that will tear it down and turn its parts into recycled goods that could then get recycled again. If you want to send PC's to Africa buy some new ones and send them.

these pc's are refurbished and sent out to a charity with workers from britain , america and elsewhere they also have people who volenteer to go out twice a year for 2 or 3 weeks to fix any pc's that are not working. there are also doctors , teachers , engineers , etc go out as well.

my niece from canada goes out for 3 months every year into the poor villages to help them

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 01:03:31 PM »

So, if i spend 12 grand on solar panels i 'might' be able to get a return of £900 a year, 'if' my house faces the right way and its not cloudy. Bargain
11 cheers for binary !

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 01:15:30 PM »
So, if i spend 12 grand on solar panels i 'might' be able to get a return of £900 a year, 'if' my house faces the right way and its not cloudy. Bargain

i thought so as well , but 1 panel should do the normal 3 bedroom house and it would be a lot cheaper

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 01:37:16 PM »
i thought so as well , but 1 panel should do the normal 3 bedroom house and it would be a lot cheaper
And you would not have to buy a green computer! Bargain!

Salmon Trout

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 01:42:57 PM »

That £900 is averaged out over the year, cloudy days and sunny days. If you know some other way of getting 7.5% tax free on 12 grand I'd like to know about it. Every kilowatt hour of power from a photovoltaic solar panel installation adds £5,000 to the resale value of a home. So you'd get around 10 grand back when you sell. And leccy prices are only likely to go one way... up.

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 01:46:56 PM »

If you know some other way of getting 7.5% tax free on 12 grand I'd like to know about it.

Become a money lender!
11 cheers for binary !

Salmon Trout

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 01:50:40 PM »
Become a money lender!

I see Nationwide is charging 7.2% APR on personal loans right now.

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, 02:05:12 PM »

ha ha, whats .3% between friends.

ok £333 on 12 grand, but you know what i mean  ;)
11 cheers for binary !

Salmon Trout

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2011, 02:10:45 PM »
ha ha, whats .3% between friends.

ok £333 on 12 grand, but you know what i mean  ;)

Yes, you mean £36.00