Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RGB VGA video out to HDMI video in  (Read 4720 times)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

RGB VGA video out to HDMI video in
    « on: January 12, 2011, 10:28:33 AM »
    Toshiba laptop windows 7. RCA  32" HDMI  HD TV. Has anyone any experience with connecting this type of configuration. I have done this quite a while ago using DVI to HDMI but that is not an option here. My checking with Toshiba has stated that i will NOT receive a high definition signal but MAY receive a signal as would occur on a non HD tv. However they also stated it may NOT work at all without a "converter". Also the possibility of using an RGB VGA output from the computer to RCA video/audio inputs on the TV are available. What is that likely to produce? Suggestions and comments gratefully accepted. truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: RGB VGA video out to HDMI video in
    « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:36:22 AM »
    The Toshiba laptop doesn't have HDMI?
    The RCA TV doesn't have VGA?
    HDMI to HDMI or VGA to VGA are your best options.

What Toshiba was telling you is you won't get HiDef (1080i), but you should get 720p out of the HDMI.

I can output my desktop graphics card to my Toshiba 32" HDTV with either VGA or HDMI.  The graphics card software controls the resolutions & views.  The highest resolutions are achieved with HDMI.  Best to check the TV's manual.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 01:11:58 PM »
      CC Thank you very much for coming onboard on this one. The Toshiba tech support is the one provided (by phone) to owners of the Toshiba Satellite C650 laptops (still under warranty). The RCA is L26WD12. I have NOT talked to RCA yet but i may need to. On reading the manual I note that in addition to what i described as available options in my initial post it apparently also (apparently because i didn't see it--but there are an incredible number of input/output jacks on it--two panels of them) is an available VGA input jack. If this option is used the recommended audio input suggested is 1/8 mini stereo plug.It also states the maximum video resolution is 1366 x 768 and to set the computer resolution to account for that. So of the options that are available what is your recommendation of which way to go that will likely produce the best result? I need to correct an error in my original post it is a 26" not a 32". truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 01:57:33 PM »
      HDMI has an advantage over VGA, in that it carries audio & video over 1 cable.  For my desktop, I turn off the HDMI audio (from the computer) because the computer speakers are better than the TV's.
      VGA may not "hot swap" if attempting to run dual monitors (laptop & TV), HDMI "hot swaps" similar to USB.

Look at your "on TV" menu, to see wht inputs are available:  among others it should say PC (VGA) & 1 or more HDMI, mine has 2 HDMI inputs.  The Toshiba computer should have software to enable HDMI video/audio out.

BTW, for my TV
      VGA max resolution = 1360x768
      HDMI max resolution = 1920x1080p
      TV sits on desk next to computer; it's a very big desk!

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 02:17:45 PM »
        The inputs in the menu that are available are :VID/SVID/CMP1/CMP2/VGA/HDMI. Maybe i am not understanding you properly when you refer to "enable HDMI video/audio out." from the computer. As i stated the only option for video out that is available on the Toshiba is RGB VGA output port. I could be wrong but would it not provide the best route for video transfer given that limitation to go directly VGA to VGA rather than VGA output to some other TV end option when the only signal coming is from a VGA output? For instance how would anything be improved if i had a VGA to HDMI cable just to be able to plug into the HDMI input port on the TV? This question is being asked solely as i do not know if it would. truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 02:23:33 PM »
        Since your laptop is new, I assumed it has an HDMI port.  If it doesn't, then VGA is your only option.  There are no converters involved for either.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 03:05:05 PM »
          I wish it did but it does not. OK CC i now need to proceed to acquire a VGA/VGA cable i do have an incredible source for those type of things VERY inexpensive as long as you have the time to wait. Thank you very much for your assistance. truenorth

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 07:07:15 PM »
          sounds like you just need a good ol' standard VGA cable, like those that come with many monitors; if you have any LCD monitors lying around or that you aren't using you might be able to "borrow" it's VGA cable if it's detachable, as well.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 09:01:52 AM »
            BC, What a timely and fortuitous reply. I was on the verge of ordering a vga/vga cable when your reply brought to my attention (that memory thing again) that i actually do have a 15" lcd monitor i picked up from a garage sale for $1.00 on the off chance i would find a use for it. Low and behold it has an about 6' removable vga/vga cableSo all that remains is to try it (not to see if the cable works as i know the monitor does work) but to see what kind of quality i get with the connection. Thank you, truenorth

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 01:26:22 PM »
              Just  to provide a final update to others following this thread and possibly thinking of doing this with the same connection options. This reply is being created using the Toshiba linked to the RCA tv via the vga-vga cable and i could not be more satisfied. The video quality is excellent if it were HD i dont see how it could be better. truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              « Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 04:26:52 PM »
              Just  to provide a final update to others following this thread and possibly thinking of doing this with the same connection options. This reply is being created using the Toshiba linked to the RCA tv via the vga-vga cable and i could not be more satisfied. The video quality is excellent if it were HD i dont see how it could be better. truenorth
              FYI
              Every laptop produced in the last 15 years has a VGA connector.  Every flat panel TV (except for those less than 12 in) has a VGA connector.  I don't want to burst your bubble, but you have not pioneered any new ground here.  Glad you're happy with the results, though.
              I am very surprised your new Toshiba laptop has no HDMI connector.  Look real hard again.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 04:49:13 PM »
                CC,  ;D  No No i never expected i was breaking new ground (except for myself). But i was so pleased with the outcome i felt i needed to pass it on in case others wanted to do the same thing and were obliged as i am to use only a vga output from the laptop. Yes i suspect that many if not most of today's modern laptops would include more video output options than my Toshiba 655c does. I was somewhat expecting lesser video quality because of the limitation but was most pleasantly surprised. I was initially intending to use a Dell PC to do the job but that got bogged down with a video card issue and resolution problems (still unsolved). So when i was given the laptop for Christmas it opened up this new opportunity. Again your interest and guidance is most appreciated. truenorth