Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop wont read flash drives when...  (Read 4289 times)

SherryB

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Laptop wont read flash drives when...
    « on: January 13, 2011, 10:41:24 AM »
    Computer info: HP Compaq Presario CQ60-615DX laptop. Windows 7 64 bit. Belkin F7D4101 wireless adapter.

I use a Belkin Wireless Adapter as the built-in wireless of my laptop doesn't pick up my router signal in the basement where my office is.

Problem: When the adapter is plugged into a USB port (any port) the other available USB ports will not read any of my thumb drives (they either do not appear at all, or they do appear but they show up as having no data on them). As soon as I unplug the Belkin adapter the problem goes away.

I've had the Laptop for seven months and this is a new problem that started a couple weeks ago. I made no changes to my computer in that time.

I . There is obviously some conflict but I'm not very computer literate and don't know how to resolve this issue other than attempts I've taken below.

Solutions tried:

1. Uninstalled/reinstalled USB drivers via Device Manager to no avail.

2. Reinstalled the Belkin software numerous times, No update for drivers available.

3. Tried System Restore.

Thank you very much for the help.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Laptop wont read flash drives when...
    « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 02:50:07 PM »
    Belkin F7D4101 wireless adapter...
    I use a Belkin Wireless Adapter as the built-in wireless of my laptop doesn't pick up my router signal in the basement where my office is.

It is an USB adapter with a 32 bit driver.  That is the key to your problem.  No solution , I believe.. :(   Maybe somebody else knows how to solve hiss.
    Wireless Network Card Compatibility - Microsoft Corporation

SherryB

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 04:51:51 PM »
      Thanks, but it's compatible with 64. I had no issues for seven months.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 04:55:14 PM »
      download and run Mike Lin's Startup Control Manager (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml). Check all tabs. Is anything starting with the system that you don't recognize?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 04:57:49 PM »
        Because you don't say so i must ask the question. Is your router plugged directly into the USB port or is it in a USB hub? truenorth

SherryB

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 07:20:49 PM »
          download and run Mike Lin's Startup Control Manager (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml). Check all tabs. Is anything starting with the system that you don't recognize?

Thanks, but I have CCleaner and the built in HP Assistant which gives me the same info and allows for changes. I only have the basics windows stuff at start up plus the wireless adapter.

Yes   HKLM:Run   WirelessAssistant   C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
          Yes   HKLM:Run   SynTPEnh   %ProgramFiles%\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
          Yes   HKLM:Run   IgfxTray   C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
          Yes   HKLM:Run   HotKeysCmds   C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
          Yes   HKLM:Run   Persistence   C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
          Yes   HKLM:Run   cAudioFilterAgent   C:\Program Files\Conexant\cAudioFilterAgent\cAudioFilterAgent64.exe
          No   HKLM:Run   HP Software Update   C:\Program Files (x86)\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
          No   HKLM:Run   QuickTime Task   "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
          Yes   Startup Common   Play Wireless USB Adapter Utility.lnk   C:\Program Files (x86)\Belkin\F7D4101\V1\PBN.exe

SherryB

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 07:23:54 PM »
            Because you don't say so i must ask the question. Is your router plugged directly into the USB port or is it in a USB hub? truenorth

The router is plugged directly into my DSL modem.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 07:52:36 AM »
              Actually the router i was asking about is the one that is plugged into your laptop.This one i believe "Belkin F7D4101 wireless adapter.". As the way i read your initial post you have opted to use that USB installed router over the internal laptop router--is that not correct? truenorth

SherryB

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 11:19:36 AM »
                Well, the router and adapter are two different things. The Belkin adapter is plugged directly into my laptop and picks up the signal from the router upstairs. So far, I can't figure it out. Nothing I do makes any difference.

SherryB

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 11:30:58 AM »
                  UPDATE!

I think I solved the problem...

I unplugged the adapter from the USB cord, then plugged it directly into my laptop and windows now reads all my flash drives with the adapter plugged in! I'm thinking it has to be the USB cord itself causing the conflict. Unfortunately I need a chord to place the adapter property in order to connect to the router so I can't leave it as is. I'm not going to mark this thread solved until I make sure. I'll get a new USB cord over the weekend and try it out.

Thanks everyone.

SherryB

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 11:33:10 AM »
                    Oops, double post.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                    • Geek After Dark
                      • Gekk9pm bnlog
                    • Certifications: List
                    • Computer: Specs
                    • Experience: Expert
                    « Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 11:59:04 AM »
                    UPDATE!

I unplugged the adapter from the USB cord, then plugged it directly into my laptop and windows now reads all my flash drives with the adapter plugged in! I'm thinking it has to be the USB cord itself causing the conflict. Unfortunately I need a chord to place the adapter property in order to connect to the router so I can't leave it as is. I'm not going to mark this thread solved until I make sure. I'll get a new USB cord over the weekend and try it out.

Thanks everyone.
                    Then it is a hardware issue. The requirements for USB 2 cords are very strict. Yet  some vendors push the edge by selling cords that don not fully comply with the specs 100%. This has been my experience too.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 12:38:41 PM »
                      Which is where i was pointing also with the direct or hub question. i suppose it would have included the "cord" if i had only dealt with the plugged in "directly" question. Anything that is between a device and the usb port may cause issues. truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
                      • Experience: Guru
                      « Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 05:19:20 PM »
                      UPDATE!

Thanks everyone.
                      Thanks for the update. Sorry we weren't of more assistance but glad you got it sorted out :)

jcmack

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
                        « Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 07:52:52 AM »
                        I thinking your "wireless adapter" is a device powered by laptop 5V. Your USB cable may be long enough (or damaged)  that the voltage drop across the cable is using all the available power for ports you connect your flash drives to.  Buy the shortest, quality cable to suit your needs. IMHO.