Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hd detected but specifications (manufacturer) misidentified....  (Read 3469 times)

thundershadow

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Hd detected but specifications (manufacturer) misidentified....
    « on: January 12, 2011, 05:18:14 PM »
    ....120gb ata 133  hard drive by maxtor is identified in device manager with a different (garbeled but similar) name so when I try to use maxblast to repair the drive so I can scan for viruses etc... maxblast errs out not recognizing the drive. Is this information provided to the system by firmware or by a service sector on the hard drive media? If by firmware I guess the drive is nogood. The drive currently reads as raw unformatted but there is a partition on it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Hd detected but specifications (manufacturer) misidentified....
    « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 05:40:29 PM »
    Whee did you get it?
    If the firmware was bad, the drive would not work at all.
    Assume the drive is junk.
    Drives are cheap, especially if you wood settle for an IDE (PATA)type.
    Seagate ST3160215ACE 160GB Internal Hard Drive
    Desktop - Internal, External - 160 GB - EIDE, IDE, DMA/ATA-100 - 100 Mbps - 7,200 RPM  ...   $46
    The above was from a USA seller.

thundershadow

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 07:26:39 PM »
      Buying another hard drive does not address the problem related to this one.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 08:25:04 PM »
      Well, let me put it another way.
      You can buy a new drive for $50.
      You can pay a service to recover data from the drive for maybe $200.
      You can hire a Super Tech to analyze the drive for $35 an hour. If he is really good and has the right tools he might find the problem inside of an hour. But he can not fix it. He will recommend a new drive.
      Is  that what you wanted to know?
      Without doing laboratory tests, all I can do is  say that statistically the possibility of the drive being salvageable with that kind of error is under that 2% because the area where that information is stored is not used except when the system starts up. Errors in sectors on a hard drive are from either wear or a defect in manufacture.  If that sector was recoverable, the built in firmware would have made the fix.
      Now if anybody else on this forum knows exactly how the error happened, please let him speak up know. BTW, have you a log for how long the drive was in use? If it has 5000 hours or more, you got fair service from it.

This is not meat to be sarcasm It just comes out that way.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 08:45:14 PM »
      Is this information provided to the system by firmware or by a service sector on the hard drive media?

Firmware. You could try swapping out the logic board from an identical model drive into that one, this would allow you to access the data on the drive if the problem is the logic board.

Usually the drive showing up with a garbled name indicates either a drive logic board failure, or a defective data cable or (in some cases) an incorrect jumper setting. I've never seen a drive that failed as a result of things like head crashes and failures with the disk/data mechanism report it's name incorrectly; generally that points to a problem with the logic board.

BTW, have you a log for how long the drive was in use? If it has 5000 hours or more, you got fair service from it.

Are you serious? what do you do? have a notepad open on your desk with scrawled notes?

Quote from: Geek-9pm's drive log
      Turned on computer and thus drive. Used it for 3 hours; this brings the grand total up to 127 hours of operation.
      Plugged in my external enclosure for 40 minutes while backing up documents. This brings it's total use up to 50 hours and 37 minutes 10 seconds; however, I also forgot to power it off after disconnection and didn't notice it for a few days, so that brings it up to at least 124 and a half hours of operation.
      etc... seriously? a "log for how long the drive was in use"? Who keeps that?

If the firmware was bad, the drive would not work at all.
      Absolutely wrong. Firmware can get corruptedand still work properly. Either that or I managed to defy your laws of hard drive mechanics because I accidentally corrupted one to the point where it's ID as far as the BIOS was concerned was a rather long garbled string. I distinctly recall the smiley faces and how it turned half the EPA logo red when the BIOS listed the HD name. the drive still worked for storing and retrieving data just fine, at half it's original size (for some reason).
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 09:22:27 PM »
      Thank you BC. I have one drive with over 5000 hours on it and it failed.  :'(
      I never thought about replacing the logic board. I might try that. If it works, I can keep my log book up to date.

thundershadow

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 11:59:56 PM »
        Thanx for the responses. I`m going to look into the data cable possibility. That cable did get migrated from my primary to my secondary controller while I had replaced that hd. I thought maybe if that were possible it would have reported that it wasn`t an 80 conductor cable while it was attempting to mount the drive but I guess it is possible to miss if it is a intermitten connection. My case is rather small so I`m using a docking bay to double duty my 5.25 expansion slot and maybe that also is something to look at.

thundershadow

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 11:52:13 PM »
          I reseated the hd in my docking bay and replaced the ribbon cable. It seems to have solved the problem. What started the cascade of crap was a loose power connection on the hd. It would cause the tell-tale smashing head sound (clicking). Since I have had trouble with the related hd in the past I didn`t recognize the problem was from the power connector instead. Thanx again for the input.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 12:18:37 AM »
          I reseated the hd in my docking bay and replaced the ribbon cable. It seems to have solved the problem. What started the cascade of crap was a loose power connection on the hd. It would cause the tell-tale smashing head sound (clicking). Since I have had trouble with the related hd in the past I didn`t recognize the problem was from the power connector instead. Thanx again for the input.

At least it had a inexpensive solution :)
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.