Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Corrupt partition table  (Read 6789 times)

markho10

Topic Starter

Rookie

Corrupt partition table
    « on: January 15, 2011, 10:53:12 AM »
    I've had 2 HDD's in my PC: WDD's of 320 GB and a small IBM's of 13 GB (used for documents) divided in total of 3 partitions. The IBM started to malfunction, so I decided to move the files from it to the WDD (created a seperate partition, resized one on it and made room for the new one). Files moved OK, everything seemed fine, but then it wouldn't boot. Tried to repair MBR with win7 instalation disc, no results. Installed a fresh copy of windows, but my second partition (not the primary nor the one with the docs is corrupted. Can't acess it, but I still have a bunch of important files on it. Tried various software for saving those files, but no dice... any help?  :'(

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Corrupt partition table
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 10:57:03 AM »
    I'm having trouble understanding what you are trying to do. Is the question about accessing files on a different Windows installation than the one to which you are booted?

markho10

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 11:01:06 AM »
      it's not the primary partition i can't access. Windows boots fine, but when i try to access the D: partition, it says that it's corrupted. When booting up the PC, it tries to check that partition, but then it says that the Master file table is corrupted. Nothing he can do about it, skips the chkdsk and continues to boot.

There is no different windows installation on the drive, there's only one. Fresh copy was installed over the old one.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 11:02:56 AM »
      And I am also confused.
      At this point he should have another PC that can backup his files. There is not way of knowing that there is a simple fix to the problem. It sounds like he has more that one problem.Or a problem that tampers with two different HDDs.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 11:07:09 AM »
      Open an elevated command prompt and type: chkdsk /r (press ENTER).

markho10

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 11:09:11 AM »
        tried it already, then I get an error message saying:
        Access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges.
        You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.
          ???

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 11:10:13 AM »
        As I said - open an ELEVATED command prompt (right-click on a command prompt window icon and "run as administrator")

markho10

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 11:15:51 AM »
          The type of File system is NTFS
          Volume label is Igre.
          Corrupt master file table. Windows will attempt to recover master file table from disk.
          Windows cannot recover master file table. CHKDSK aborted.

same thing when booting.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 11:22:31 AM »
          If Microsoft's Checkdisk (chkdsk) failed to repair the MFT, you could try a repair tool like the free TestDisk.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

In the Advanced menu, select your NTFS partition, choose Boot, then Repair MFT. TestDisk will compare the MFT and MFT mirror (its backup). If the MFT is damaged, it will try to repair the MFT using the backup. If the MFT backup is damaged, it will use the main MFT.

If both MFT and MFTMirr are damaged and thus cannot be repaired using TestDisk, you might want to try commercial software like Zero Assumption Recovery, GetDataBack for NTFS or Restorer 2000.

markho10

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 11:23:55 AM »
            Tnx for the info :) will give it a shot, see what happens and hopefully save my files :)