Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Suspected Processor Usage Spike and Lag Problems  (Read 5826 times)

Citizen Swooboo

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: Suspected Processor Usage Spike and Lag Problems
    « Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 06:37:18 PM »
    You could try disabling those to see if the issues go away; a quick google says that other people have had hanging issues and that disabling C&Q made the issue go away.

Another thing to try might be to disable all power management options altogether temporarily and see if the issue goes away.

Do you mean... Display Options --> Screen Saver --> Power?  I have Hibernation off, no UPS, minimal power scheme; turn off monitor, hard disks, and system standby set to Never.  As far as I know I have no other software that attempts to control power usage like the C&Q does.

I did go ahead and disable C&Q and I seem to be having less hangups, but they still occur.  Now that I have time for the computer again, I am going to stress the computer some more and see just how much disabling that did or did not help.

I have left Process Explorer running all day again to see if I could catch anything noticeable in the hangups, but really nothing at all.  CPU usage stayed in System Idle predominately with Interrupts and DPCs never taking more than 4%.  Actually when there is a hangup there isn't a spike, the processor usage flatlines in the graphs.  I will show in two screenshots of the one I caught this afternoon.  This links to a public album I made, each image has a description underneath I wrote.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/dave_radz/Computer/

I know that doesn't help much, I just wanted to show that I am not getting any kind of easy sign of what to investigate.  I'm gonna burn up some RAM now and see if I encounter any hangups in the next two hours and what I can record of it.

EDIT:  I am not sure what use this information is, because I don't know exactly what the "busy" light in front of the tower corresponds to, but the behavior while frozen is such that it blips, two seconds pass, and it blips again ad infinitum.  'til the hangup ends anyway.  Otherwise I don't see it unless it has a lot of models to process in a game or 3DS/DWG.

Since it has been a few months, it seems the hangups occur more often when I am running several programs eating up half of my memory.  It even seems I often need to turn down the game quality settings for the sake of performance.  I wonder if the latest NVIDIA drivers nerfed my computer.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled them several times though.
    « Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 07:36:12 PM by Citizen Swooboo »

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 09:55:21 PM »
    The two lights on the front of the tower are usually the power on light and the hard drive activity light.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 11:32:09 PM »
    Since it has been a few months, it seems the hangups occur more often when I am running several programs eating up half of my memory.  It even seems I often need to turn down the game quality settings for the sake of performance.  I wonder if the latest NVIDIA drivers nerfed my computer.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled them several times though.

Can you uninstall the nVidia control panel, leave the driver in place, but just remove the control panel.
    I've had some success with that in the past.
    Evil is an exact science.