Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ugh...no system restore and laptop not working  (Read 2919 times)

katsmasterplan

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    ugh...no system restore and laptop not working
    « on: January 16, 2011, 08:09:44 AM »
    Hi

Really hope someone can help me. I restarted my computer (Vista 32) as I updated a program, when it restarted it came up with the Windows Update screen (even though it hadn't downloaded any updates that day?), it got to 91% Stage 3 of 3 and stayed there for at least an hour, then the cursor froze, so I had to turn it off (hold the power button down) and on again. Now I can only start it in Safe Mode, and when I try system restore it says i have no restore points (even though I know I used to!!!). It also won't let me start up Windows Update from the Start Menu, I click on it and nothing happens. When I try normal mode it lets me put in my password but then either goes black and stay that way, or says Personalised Setting (not responding).

Any help that doesn't involve reinstalling Vista?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: ugh...no system restore and laptop not working
    « Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 05:43:04 AM »
    What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

katsmasterplan

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: ugh...no system restore and laptop not working
      « Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:51:51 AM »
      Hi
      Apart from the windows update nothing was different. I did a spyware etc scan in sae
      Safe mode and got nothing. Now I've got bigger problems though! I pressed f8 and repair your computer and that's made things worse as now the computer won't start up in any mode. I have put my vista disc in to reinstall and it says windows is loading files but then just goes to a black screen with an arrow cursor on. The disc was working yesterday. Is there any way I can reinstall windows vista? Even the repair your computer etc screens won't load now
      Thanks