Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need a coot disk with a FORMAT command! HELP!  (Read 6319 times)

Angelo Young

I need a coot disk with a FORMAT command! HELP!
« on: June 26, 2004, 09:49:01 AM »
Hi,

I know how to make a boot disk in Windows XP, but it doesn't put all MS-DOS commands on the diskette. I need to make a boot disk that I can put into my A: drive that will allow me to format c: when I need to wipe my drive, which I do periodically as general maintenance (about every six months).

I used to do this with Windows 98 - the Windows 98 diskette that came with the software had the FORMAT command. It even worked with XP, unfortuantely it eventually wore out and I never had a back-up. WIndows XP does not come with a bootable diskette, and I do not like relying on the CD-ROM to do what I want it to do. I just want my old reliable WIndows 98 boot diskette capability back!

The boot disk that Windows XP makes does not have the FORMAT command. I can boot to the A:> prompt but it doesn't recognize "format c:" because it doesn't have the format command.

I feel vulnerable to losing access to my principal HD without this capability.

Can anyone help me? I simply need to be able to make a boot disk that has all of the MS-DOS commands (FDISK, FORMAT, ETC.). I tried bootdisk.com, but it created CALDERA DR-DOS, which looks differen than a typical DOS disk that I'm used to. All I want is a simple MS-DOS diskette.

Thanks in advance for your help.

- Angelo

chade

Re: I need a coot disk with a FORMAT command! HELP
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 10:18:15 AM »

MalikTous

Re: I need a coot disk with a FORMAT command! HELP
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 12:30:47 PM »
Have you tried a search on your HD or WinXP CD for where the FORMAT, FDISK, and other vital commands are? If they are still there for use from the HD or CD boot, you should be able to copy them to the floppy.