Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RAM  (Read 8098 times)

kevvlar

RAM
« on: June 24, 2004, 07:21:07 AM »
I have an emachines computer with windows xp home and a 2.13 G processor. I had 1 stick of pc2700 333mhz 512mb ram. I added another with the same stats. When you right click on My Computer it does now say that there is 1.00 G of RAM. But when I load the online game that I play (DAOC) my system crashes and reboots, although this doesn't always happen right away, i've tried quite a few times and it ranges from immediately to about 5 minutes or so, but not longer. This only happens during game play. With both sticks in, the general applications (ie opening programs and surfing the net) are much much faster. Would like to know if there is anything that I need to do (someone told me there is a reboot option that I need to turn off in "my computer properties", but I can't find this and they weren't positive of it's location). I would appreciate any and all help.  thank you

chade

Re: RAM
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 07:41:04 AM »
There is indeed an option that prevents your computer auto-rebooting when it crashes in sytem properties - but it will not stop your computer crashing if you remove it (it just gives you a better chance to see any error messages such as those shown on the infamous BSOD "Blue Screen Of Death").  BSODs are a notorious sign of bad RAM.

To turn off auto-reboot, please go to System Properties (My Computer->Right Click->Properties) and then choose the Advanced Tab, then Startup and Recovery Settings.  If there is a check next to "Automatically Restart" remove it and your system will hang when it crashes, rather than rebooting (most of the time this will work, sometimes the hardware just forces a reboot).

It is possible that the two sticks of RAM you have are just not compatible.  Sometimes the RAM will work at lower demand settings (delve into the BIOS there will be some memory settings such as RAS, CAS RAS-CAS - they will all be lumped together).  Basically you want to INCREASE these figures to lower demand on the RAM - they refer to the delay between various types of operation in the RAM.  The more delay (the higher the number), the more likely the RAM can take what you throw at it.  But unfortunately, as I've said, it may just never work :(

Run memtest http://www.memtest86.com which only runs from a disk it creates or http://www.home.earthlink.net/~alegr/ which runs in windows to test your RAM.  These will not find ALL problems, but the vast majority of them.

If you're still having trouble, let us know exactly what happens when you get these crashes (if there are any more details), inculding any and all error messages you get.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 07:45:32 AM »
Could it be that you are overclocking and stressing your CPU too much with the extra RAM stick?

merlin

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 07:17:57 PM »
to much ram for mobo take one out there is no need to have more than 512mb...unless you are trying to escape the earth...leave it as it ...just goes to show if you play with fire you will get burnt and can you tell me why you have added more ram...interested why you have...what is the reasoning behind this...pray tell..
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 07:20:41 PM by merlin »

chade

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 07:41:43 PM »
If the Windows recognises the RAM, your BIOS has recognised the RAM and it is clearly not too much for your motherboard.  Almost every motherboard built in the last 3 years can take 1GB-1.5GB+.  The physical limit for current motherboards (32-bit) is 3GB. Any more than this and the computer is incapable of addressing the memory due to the limits of 32-bit computer architecture.  Only 2^32 bits of memory can be addressed, which is a little over 3GB worth of RAM.  This is one of the forseeable advantages of 64-bit processors - they are capable of addressing FAR more RAM (not just twice as much, but 2^32 times as much!).

Merlin may think you're being greedy with all that RAM - but I can see plenty of uses for it!  Some activities are very taxing on RAM (such as some video and picture editing - although they are also very processor intensive) as well as application multi-tasking.

It can also be a wicked way to eek out incredible performance in 3D games.  How?  I had a friend with 1.5GB of RAM who ran a 500MB RAM drive (physical RAM set aside to perform as a storage device (Hard Disk equivalent)) which he installed Counterstrike to when he turned his computer on for competiton games.  The game loaded so fast, and performed so well, you wouldn't believe it unless you saw it!  (Excessive, but very fun to watch)

Try and get your RAM working by applying my suggestions in my previous post - they are (initially at least) your best bet.

kevvlar

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 07:09:55 AM »
I wanted to say thanks for the help. I had taken one stick back out just to have the system operate for my game. I did what chade told me to regarding the auto reboot, then put the 2nd stick back in first slot and added the original stick into slot 2 (which I had tried the night before also, but figured what the hay, give it a whirl). Now it seems to be running just fine. I was even able to dual log 2 accounts at the same time with virtually no lag, even while switching from account to account during gameplay. (Hehe which was fun watching one of my guildmates going link dead several times while I for a first time ran 2 with no trouble). I played for about 4 hours yesterday and all seemed to work very well. Again thank you for your help and if I have any more trouble, i'll try the other suggestions.

Now, to answer why more ram when I had 512mb already. I added it because I play an MMROPG, and was experiencing lag in the game while other players I was grouped with were not, and I was unable to run a second account to be able to bot myself around. My game.dll was sucking up all available ram for just the one account. In a full on 3D world with 3 realms on one server where you fight memebers for another realm, the one stick was just not going to cut it for 2 accounts.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 07:16:36 AM by kevvlar »

chade

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 08:29:12 PM »
Hey, great to hear your problem was seemingly solved, and so easily!  RAM can be very delicate as you've discovered and motherboards can handle different RAM in different ways (even by just reversing the chips as you've seen!).  Your problems may potentially re-appear if you tax the RAM heavily, but things sound so-far so-good.

Enjoy your gaming.

MalikTous

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2004, 12:42:02 PM »
Actually, what you had was two RAM sticks and the new one was slightly slower than the old. The first RAM stick was what the BIOS used to set its RAS/CAS/latency, etc. settings, and you are now running a setting that is compatible with both sticks by running the most limitting one first.

Insure that you have good cooling to the RAM sticks area as well, add an internal fan to circulate the air if necessary. And clean out your case, CPU heatsink, power supply, and fans several times annually.