Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unclean shutdown  (Read 6338 times)

Vigaenson

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Unclean shutdown
« on: December 09, 2011, 02:23:06 PM »
Hi!! :)

While I was trying to recover from a blue screen that appeared while I was working as usual with my WXP SP3 & Excel 2007 Home & Student's spreadsheet, my system (Intel P4, MSI 945GCM7, 1GB RAM, MSI Video Card nVidia, Samsung DVD drive, floppy disk drive) suffered electrical failures that left it unusable.

'Cause I urgently needed data that was kept in it's WD1600AAJS SATA HDD, I connected it to a very old desktop (Cyrix III M II 3x, 125 MB RAM, Sony CD CDU5215 SCSI disk, floppy disk drive unit) that I use exclusively with a live CD Linux distribution. It hasn't a HDD nor SATA but has a USB card so I used a Manhattan Hi-Speed USB 2.0 SATA/IDE Adapter.
After booting into the Linux distro I mounted the HDD and a 1,44 MB diskette to the Linux system. My intention was to keep the data I wanted to rescue in the 1,44 MB diskette, but while I was getting ready to proceed, a red little window appeared in which I could read:

The NTFS-3g driver was able to the NTFS partition but returned this error message:
$Log File indicates unclean shutdown (0,0). Warning: Foreced mount, reset $Log File
It is mounted read/write, but advice is only write to it in emergency situation. Recommendation is boot Windows and fix the filesystem first!!!
Okay

Though after this advice I took care in not writing on the HDD, I'm not entirely sure that the maneuvers used to "unhide" some columns or some other maneuvers I could have performed will not be misunderstood by the OSs as writing .
I'm aware that each time I closed a file and was asked if I wanted to save changes I replied I didn't want to save them.

I think that the electrical problems I mentioned before are related with the efforts the system made to recover from the blue screen so I would like to leave the HDD in the best possible conditions to be connected to a SATA system and to be used by XP Home Edition SP3 avoiding these these efforts.

While I'm waiting to know if the P4 desktop can be repaired I've used CH's "Search" and "FAQ Database" tools to see if there's something I can do with this old computer and the WD HDD to achieve my goal. Unfortunately what I've read doesn't seem to apply to my case.

Can I please have your opinion? :)

Thank you for your time. :)

PS:
  • Though I have unplugged and plugged the WD HDD to the old computer in several instances, the red advice only appeared the first time.

• My internal 160 GB SATA WD HDD has 74.53 GB on a basic NTFS healthy (System) partition with Windows XP Home SP3, all my programs and all my documents on it and 74.52 GB are unallocated.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Unclean shutdown
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 06:15:55 PM »
Using  a very old computer to read a damaged drive is not a good idea.
Reading a SATA drive or even a PATA drive with a typical USB adapter is not always reliable.

A better choice is a newer PC and make the damaged drive the second drive in the system.

The best way to recover data is with then original hardware system.  If that is possible. You can make a bookable XP like OS that will boot off of a USB.

Some like bistros can read NTFS. But as you found, writing is not a good idea.

Vigaenson

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 07:49:41 PM »
Living decades in non English speaking countries has it's inconveniences for those of us who know little about computer science and information technology.
Though my first language was English I have lived most of my life in non English speaking countries.
And there are times when I can't figure out if I'm facing typos, or if I don't understand technical words or if I'm missunderstanding plain English words.
In this case,  though I'm extremely grateful for your answer ,you have written

The best way to recover data is with then original hardware system.  If that is possible. You can make a bookable XP like OS that will boot off of a USB.

Some like bistros can read NTFS. But as you found, writing is not a good idea.
and there are three points that are preventing me from fully understanding it.

Could you please tell me if

• then is a typo for the ?
  • bookable is a typo for bootable?
          If not, does it mean it is an XP like OS prepared in advance for instances like this one and that will boot off of a USB?
  • bistros is a typo for distros?
          If not, what are they and where can I read about them? My google search has been unsuccessful.

Thank you for your answers and for your time :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 08:37:18 PM by Vigaenson »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 08:38:06 PM »
Sorry about the typos.
(Because of something that happened about ten years ago, I can no longer read phonetically. I sight read.  So I don 't see the mistakes of my fingers. I would use the speech recognition, but they have the TV on.)

There is an Operating system that can start from a USB flash drive.
It can read and write in the Windows NTFS.
Linux distributions do not reliably write to a NTFS.

Here is a helpful kink about diagnostic tools that can start fro a CD or a USB device.
Five Best Computer Diagnostic Tools - Lifehacker

Vigaenson

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 10:40:20 AM »
Thank you for your reply.
I'll visit the link and see what I can do with those tools
Thank you for your time.