Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: fix vxd file  (Read 5811 times)

Joey Mullet

fix vxd file
« on: August 11, 2005, 01:48:58 PM »
when i start my computer up it says its missing a vxd file how do i fix it it had a file javasup.vxd so i reinstalled java but it still appears what should i do?

Raptor

Re: fix vxd file
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 02:02:26 PM »
when i start my computer up it says its missing a vxd file how do i fix it it had a file javasup.vxd so i reinstalled java but it still appears what should i do?

Try removing Javasup.vxd from your registry. Or use a registry cleaner. This is Windows 98, I assume?

Easy Cleaners
-- Freeware registry scanner
Registrar Lite
-- Excellent replacement for Windows Regedit
Crap Cleaner
-- Freeware registry scanner/history cleaner

Caution is advised when using these programs!
Create backups of all important files before proceeding.

Joey Mullet

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 09:22:17 PM »
how can i remove without downloading anything?

Joey Mullet

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 09:23:25 PM »
how can i remove it without downloading anything?

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 11:47:32 PM »
Joey:

A file ending with the .VxD extension is a virtual device driver (also called a value-added driver).  A .VXD file is a helper file used by one or more program (.EXE) files.  You don't run .VXD files; the program with which it is designed to work uses the info in the file.

JAVA is a programming language often used by web page designers.  My guess is that javasup.vxd is a device driver that helps some program installed on your computer be compatible with websites that utilize Java.  Just what that program is may be difficult to determine.  

You may want to try searching these Microsoft recommended driver download sites to see if one of the sites indicates the program that uses the driver:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/drivers/default.mspx

Regards,
Doc
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 11:56:18 PM by pcdoc4christ »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 11:51:28 PM »
how can i remove it without downloading anything?

You would have to edit the Windows registry using Regedit.  However, doing so may cause your operating system (OS) to become inoperable until you reinstall the OS.

Is this something you want to try?  If so, let us know.

Regards,
Doc

Joey Mullet

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 12:56:59 AM »
i went to download registar lite to replace the file so i wouldnt have to reinstall the os but it is say on the top of the age which windows its good for and it doesnt say 98 is there another site i can use to fix the problem?

Joey Mullet

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 01:15:08 AM »
i downloaded ccleaner and went into issues and clean and fix the file i restarted the computer and still have the problem

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 08:03:08 AM »
Try the following instead:

1. Start
2. Run
3. Regedit
4. Search for the .vxd file.

Be forewarned, though, whenever such an error occured to me I would simply remove that registry entry when using Windows 98 but these usually involved HARDWARE driver related errors.

joey Mulett

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 10:48:00 AM »
i found the file do i delete it?

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2005, 11:00:42 AM »
Create a back-up of your registry first by exporting it.

You can delete registry entries by pressing delete. There is no undo button.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 11:01:55 AM by Raptor »

Joey Mullet

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2005, 11:44:31 AM »
i have 2 questions for the i found the javasup folder do i delet the whole folder or just the file javasup.vxd?

and the other question is i have uninstalled and deleted stuff from my computer a while ago and i seen the file for the stuff under the registry can i delete it?

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2005, 12:22:54 PM »
and the other question is i have uninstalled and deleted stuff from my computer a while ago and i seen the file for the stuff under the registry can i delete it?

Yes. However, using a registry scanner is advised.

i have 2 questions for the i found the javasup folder do i delet the whole folder or just the file javasup.vxd?  

Both. Removing the registry entry will most likely prevent the error from being displayed and removing the folder allows for easier reinstallation. If you are planning on doing so.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2005, 02:38:31 PM »
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 02:41:02 PM by pcdoc4christ »

merlin_2

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2005, 04:48:59 PM »
Do you have the win98 disk.........

Joey Mullet

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2005, 05:19:37 PM »
no i dont