Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to start programs w/ Windows for selected user only?  (Read 2999 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
how to start programs w/ Windows for selected user only?
« on: January 20, 2011, 03:41:31 PM »
I have 2 user accounts on this PC "Toshiba L355 notebook". I have it set to start Malwarebytes, Comodo firewall, AVG and Secunia PSI when Windows starts. All were installed and set to 'start when windows starts' while logged onto my 'Administrator' user account. But these are also now starting when I start up and log into the other 'user' user account.
How do I set these to start with Windows only for my administrator account but not for the user account?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
Re: how to start programs w/ Windows for selected user only?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 12:24:17 AM »
Thanks Geek-9pm, but I have no problem accessing or running anything as administrator. I just can't figure out how to separate which programs start with Windows based on which user is logging on. If I remove the programs I mentioned above via 'msconfig/startup' while logged in as 'administrator', then they respond accordingly when I log in to the 'standard user' account. (and vise-versa). I would guess this is because Windows actually starts before the option is given for the user to log on - I also can't see a way to separate Windows startup options in the BIOS based on 'user'.

Also, I have the same results if I try to modify these programs start options via 'Administrative Tool/Services'. (not user specific).

Anyone else have a solution?

BTW: I forgot to mention this PC is running Vista (in specs) if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Mike

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 02:16:43 AM »
Yes, there is a way of doing that in the registry. Before you edit the registry, make sure you know how to backup the registry.
Search Microsoft Support for:
Restrict  Users from Running Specific Applications

Sorry I can not find a specific reference. Basically, you have to demote the user to a lower level. Or you have to make a group policy and do not let the user be a member of the group.
The problem is that there needs to be a user level just below administrator, but above  guest. The method was changed in Vista. Search the Microsoft support site for new security features in Vista.
Start with this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951016
Sorry, I don't use Vista enough to know the answer.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 02:32:41 AM by Geek-9pm »

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 03:17:30 AM »
Geez, I read most of it and got lost around the second sentence, but seeing as the first sentence say's
UAC is meant to enable users to run with standard user rights, as opposed to administrative rights
I would assume UAC is active after Windows starts. If UAC is where I need to make the change, then I'll likely need a step-by-step tutoring. I'm a slow learner.
... I found an option in 'control panel/services' -right click on the service I want to edit- 'properties'  ('log on' tab).

I don't know what to do further though.

Print screen of directions: here

Step 1 is where I'm 1st lost.
What console tree and what is a node?

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 03:21:14 AM »
Sorry, I was typing while you added:

Sorry I can not find a specific reference. Basically, you have to demote the user to a lower level. Or you have to make a group policy and do not let the user be a member of the group.
The problem is that there needs to be a user level just below administrator, but above  guest. The method was changed in Vista. Search the Microsoft support site for new security features in Vista.
Start with this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951016
Sorry, I don't use Vista enough to know the answer.

I'll check the link.
Thank's  :)