Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Remove multiOS menu from startup  (Read 4622 times)

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

Remove multiOS menu from startup
    « on: October 09, 2011, 06:07:38 AM »
    Remove multi OS menu from startup
    Hi I have 2 different comps. Both are XP Pro. Both have got the same Boot.ini. as below.

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

However if one starts OK, the other still offers that option of 2 (Wingows XP Pro... and Windows (default)).
    If matters here is how I ended up having this issue. I mounted a new drive on that problematic computer and installed a new instance of XP there. Removed that dive later on, but as you may know, after installing that new instance, Boot.ini was modified as below.

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

As you can see above, although I've removed the second line, I still keep getting this annoyance.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Remove multiOS menu from startup
    « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 11:48:56 AM »
    Pardon me if this sounds rude.  :)
    Just leave it alone until you know exactly how to fix it. As long and it does not interfere with use of the system. Just let it be.

I have played and played with BOOT.INI for years and have often found my self with not being able to boot at all anger i 'fixed' it. Then I have to boot another OS to edit the BOOT.INI, which is a real pain trying to edit BOOT.INI from Linux.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Remove multiOS menu from startup
    « Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 10:05:23 PM »
    Remove multi OS menu from startup
    Hi I have 2 different comps. Both are XP Pro. Both have got the same Boot.ini. as below.

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

However if one starts OK, the other still offers that option of 2 (Wingows XP Pro... and Windows (default)).
    If matters here is how I ended up having this issue. I mounted a new drive on that problematic computer and installed a new instance of XP there. Removed that dive later on, but as you may know, after installing that new instance, Boot.ini was modified as below.

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

As you can see above, although I've removed the second line, I still keep getting this annoyance.

I have had this problem in the past- at boot there would be "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" and Windows(default). I got rid of the Windows(default) by editing my boot.ini to this:

Code: [Select]
    [Boot Loader]
    timeout=30
    Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
    [Operating Systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
    You could always do a "fixboot" or "fixmbr" from your XP setup CD with its Recovery Console.
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none