Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Infected .exe file, Unable to Open Some Programs Including Antivirus  (Read 4514 times)

Ario

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    First of all, I would like to say thank you for any help you may give.
    I am on a Windows Vista laptop, I'm sorry that this is all the information I can give, I dont know much about computers. If you need more information I will do my best to give it to you.
    Ok, so today a random scan of my computer began. I went along with it thinking it was a normal thing, but a few minutes after the scan pop-ups began showing up saying "Application cannot be executed. The file wuauclt.exe is infected. Do you want to activate your antivirus software now?" I dont understand why this is happening since I have an up-to-date software called "Avira Anti-vir Personal." When I try to open up Avira I get a security alert saying "the file avcenter.exe is infected." Another issue is that the windows update icons keep on piling up in my taskbar. I tried to follow a similar thread with this problem but due to the fact that .exe files don't work I can't open the programs you want me to download. And I also cant open itunes.
    I'm not in a rush so any time you can get back to me would be good.
    Thank you in advance.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: Infected .exe file, Unable to Open Some Programs Including Antivirus
    « Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 08:37:05 PM »
    Have you visited the Virus,Malware Section?
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 05:38:42 AM »
    You are infected with what we call "scumware"...a phony A/V app that will ask for money to fix things...

These are difficult to fet rid of....follow jason's link above.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Ario

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:40:48 AM »
      Have you visited the Virus,Malware Section?
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html
      Thank you for the help, but I could only complete step A and B. I don't need to download a firewall if I'm on Vista right?
      I couldn't uninstall any programs though.. When I try to uninstall something, a window opens and then closes immediately.
      I downloaded ccleaner, but that doesn't work for me either. I managed to get it on my desktop but when i double click it a pop-up appears saying "Application cannot be executed. The file ccleaner.exe is infected. Do you want to activate your antivirus software now?"
      Step 3 didn't work either. I downloaded SAS but I can't get past the installing before a popup shows up saying Application cannot be executed. The file superantispyware.exe is infected. Same thing happens for mbam as well as Java.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 04:52:04 PM »
      There is nothing on those instructions about installing a firewall.
      You need to start over and follow the steps so you can Post your logs and get some assistance...

PS With what you have stated your more severely infected than you thought...

royalina

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 07:05:58 PM »
        could only complete step A and B. I don't need to download a firewall if I'm on Vista right?
        I couldn't uninstall any programs though.........

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 12:23:32 AM »
        Run your computer in Safemode(F8). See if you can work any steps to post the entire logs needed.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 06:19:57 AM »
        could only complete step A and B. I don't need to download a firewall if I'm on Vista right?
        I couldn't uninstall any programs though.........

You need to start your own Topic...