Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: .NET Framework 3.5 won't install  (Read 4677 times)

RudeDawg

Topic Starter

Beginner

.NET Framework 3.5 won't install
    « on: January 27, 2011, 01:47:18 PM »
    I am running an old Compaq Presario 6000 with a 1.4 Ghz Celeron processor and 512 Mb PC133 (maxed out) and onboard sound and graphics. I have all drivers updated to the latest drivers this dinosaur can run. I have Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall guarding the door. Other than that all I have installed is Office 2002 (Word, Power Point, Excel) my printer (Canon JX210P), Motorola Phone Tools , Rainlendar, Firefox and Thunderbird. I have tried letting Net Framework 3.5 SP1 via Automatic Update AND using Tools>Windows Update. Both approaches fail. Once installation initialization is finished it fails to install.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: .NET Framework 3.5 won't install
    « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 01:54:09 PM »
    Do you have .net framework 3.0 installed? .net framework versions are not cumulative - they require the earlier version to be installed.

RudeDawg

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 01:38:40 PM »
      For some odd reason, after several failed attempts at installing it decided to go ahead and install on a shutdown........ at the Log off/Shutdown/Restart it said there were updates ready to be installed Do Not Turn Off Computer It Will Shut Down Automatically. While shutting down it installed. Thnkgs that make you go "Hmmmmmmm".

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 01:42:04 PM »
      This tells me you interrupted the original install///
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 10:48:17 PM »
      Do you have .net framework 3.0 installed? .net framework versions are not cumulative - they require the earlier version to be installed.

each version of the .net framework is required to run applications written to that framework. you can run a .NET 2.0 application only if you have .NET 2.0 installed; having 3.5 or 3.0 won't work, and you don't need 1.1 installed (it doesn't require the earlier version). Same goes for later versions; you can run a .NET 3.5 compiled application only if you have .NET framework 3.5 installed; it won't run if you only have .NET 4 and/or .NET 2.0 installed.

it isn't no much that they aren't cumulative (the functionality of a the 1.1 framework <is> in the 3.5 framework, for example) insomuch as they are simply regarded as different products; each "version" of the .NET framework is updated individually; you can update your 1.1 framework install, then update your 3.5 framework install, and they will both remain installed. Vista comes preinstalled with .NET 3.0, Windows 7 comes preinstalled with .NET 3.5; however, if you want to or need to run applications written for versions 1.1 or 2.0 or any earlier (or later, as 4.0 has also been released) framework, you will need to install that version as well.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.