Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ERGENT please. Windows will not boot  (Read 4114 times)

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    ERGENT please. Windows will not boot
    « on: January 15, 2011, 03:32:19 PM »
    I did not have ATI Control Panel before the reinstall of Windows XP a few weeks back. I finally got machine almost back to normal the way it was but still having a few video/graphics problems.
    I accidentally uninstalled the ATI Control Panel and cannot perform Windows Update while in Safe Mode.I am also missing the 'modem on hold'. I used my resource CD and reinstalled the ATI drivers but Windows still will not boot. The Windows reinstall CD will not do a repair because my ver of Windows is a newer one.
    I have really made a mess. Please Help.
    Thank you so very much.

OS Windowsw XP SP3
    Dell Dimension 4700
    create date 2004

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      Re: ERGENT please. Windows will not boot
      « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 04:02:13 PM »
      I will shut down machine and remove power source for a while to see if that corrects the boot problem. Will check back with you in a hour. Thank you so much.
      Dell Diagnostics on Resource CD says that I need the Modem on Hold to perform the diagnostics.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 10:06:17 PM »
      I finally got machine almost back to normal the way it was but still having a few video/graphics problems.

I used my resource CD and reinstalled the ATI drivers but Windows still will not boot. The Windows reinstall CD will not do a repair because my ver of Windows is a newer one.
      You need to provide what was the original problem of the machine going into your current situation. What type of video card(onboard or dedicated)? What OS and do you mean CD will not repair?

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
      « Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 01:53:10 AM »
      Quote from: PattyBrew
      The Windows reinstall CD will not do a repair because my ver of Windows is a newer one.

A common problem, you might have to Slipstream your install disk content with SP.3 and updates.

Lots of info here

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 01:13:45 PM »
        A common problem, you might have to Slipstream your install disk content with SP.3 and updates.

Lots of info here

Sorry for being so dense but what is Slipstream my install disk? and how do I do that?

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
        « Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 12:30:29 AM »
        The OS installed on your pc has been updated therefore it is "newer version" than the one on your install disk.  Therefore it is necessary to slipstream (update) the install disk to allow Setup to proceed without detecting a more up-to-date OS already installed and then terminating.

Click here to view instructions on slipstreaming.

Good luck.
        One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 09:41:44 AM »
          Thank you so much Dusty.
          I viewed a thread in that search you ref me to that said that Dell's reinstall CD does not accept the Slip Streaming.
          If you get the error:

This Service Pack cannot be integrated into a destination that also has integrated Software Updates
          Consult the Service Pack documentation for more details about supported integration scenarios.

This is caused by the fact that your Windows XP CD contains updates that will be automatically installed when you run setup. These type of CD's will usually be from larger OEM suppliers (like Dell, HP, or others).

You cannot use this type of CD to create a slipstreamed install.

First, the files will be extracted, and next they will be integrated in your Windows XP files: ]

OK mine was not updated by Dell evidently so should I contact them to see what to do to update my CD? I hope they don't tell me that I have to buy a new one.

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 10:11:19 AM »
            You need to provide what was the original problem of the machine going into your current situation. What type of video card(onboard or dedicated)? What OS and do you mean CD will not repair?

OS is Windows XP SP3. I use both IE and Firefox browsers. I wanted to run a repair just to make sure everything in Windows is running ok after the reinstall that I regret doing now.  I finally did 3 Restores. The third was back several days from the boot problem and that has allowed me to boot without any problems.
            Here is info on my video card, I think this is it. Please correct me on this.
            These are called Display adapters. Are they the video/graphics card? They are onboard.

Radeon X300 Series primary and
            Radeon X300 Series secondary
            I have learned through research that Radeon is no longer updating. They have changed to a Celestica.

Now it shows only
            ATI Radeon X300/X550/1050 Series
            The ATI followed the reinstall of the OS. The name of Radeon X300/X550/1050 Series was following the updated driver software. (from Driver Max). The Dell Windows XP install cd also has a brand  NVIDIA.   software/driver would not install saying that my machine did not have the minimum requirements.
            « Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:26:20 AM by pattybrew »