Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transfer files between a Kubuntu PC & Windows XP PC  (Read 4351 times)

KerryE

Topic Starter

Beginner

Transfer files between a Kubuntu PC & Windows XP PC
    « on: February 02, 2011, 08:39:31 AM »
    We have computer running Kubuntu 7.04 which we have to use to prepare RIP printing files (the program is called Caldera and only works on Linux).

We then have to transfer large files (around 100mb-2gb) via a memory stick to an adjacent PC which runs Windows XP pro.

What is an easy way to connect these two computers so I can transfer files - I suppose ideally using windows explorer to transfer the files?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Transfer files between a Kubuntu PC & Windows XP PC
    « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:23:30 AM »
    Do you  have a router that you use for Internet access?  If so, are both these computers connected to the router? 

Do you have any spare hard drives that could be installed in an external enclosure to make an external hard drive?  Do you have an external enclosure for a hard drive?  If you do this file transfer on a repeating basis and the computers cannot be networked via a router, an investment in an external hard drive may be a wise investment.

KerryE

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 09:31:10 AM »
      These computers are stand alone, not on a network. I dont have any spare hard drives, but would buy something to suit if it makes life easy.

One problem I have when transferring these files is that it is so slow, when transferring I get a 'stalled' message.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 09:37:20 AM »
      Are these computers connected to the Internet?

One problem I have when transferring these files is that it is so slow, when transferring I get a 'stalled' message.
      How are you currently doing this?

Do these computers have a DVD burner?  One DVD can hold up to 4.3GB.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 12:45:30 PM »
      They stated:
      We then have to transfer large files (around 100mb-2gb) via a memory stick to an adjacent PC which runs Windows XP pro.
      in first post as current method. An external HD would be just as slow as thumb drives.

Best method I could think of is create peer-to-peer network and use samba or install an FTP service on the Linux box and then Peer-to-Peer the files back and forth over network connection. Cheapest network that can be built if both systems have network adapters is a cross-over Peer-to-Peer network. And all you need is cross over cable between them. Only concern with cross-over cable is how far appart are these systems and can a cable be safely run between them without creating a clothes line or trip hazzard?

I'd go with samba:  http://www.samba.org/

KerryE

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 08:11:09 AM »
        Computers are right next to each other. Yes, I might try using cds - is this quicker than copying to a Kingston memory stick? Cant understand why it is so slow, then keep getting 'stalled' message, then when 'safely removing' I get message window which says 'Error kio_media_mounthelper ....the device was successfully unmounted but could not be ejected'' .

But, I do like the idea of using Samba. I looked at the website - what I need are idiot proof instructions on what to do  ???

Are there any available?

many thanks