Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Browser  (Read 2542 times)

spock

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Browser
    « on: January 08, 2011, 07:50:43 PM »
     Frequently, after awakening my computer from sleep or hibernation I go to a browser only to get "this page cannot be displayed". It happens with Internet Explorer, Firefox, or any other browser (the error messages may be slightly different, but mean the same). If I reboot the computer, I have no trouble. After I've been using them for awhile, I often get the message "...not responding". Again, it seems the only way out is to reboot again. I don't know if these problems are related. I was told that one of the ports that is associated with my browsers may be closed.
    "It's always something!"-Gilda Radner

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Browser
    « Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 07:55:21 PM »
    Frequently, after awakening my computer from sleep or hibernation I go to a browser only to get "this page cannot be displayed
    Try disabling all power management on your system from sleep or hibernation mode including hardware devices and if power options are available on BIOS setup, turn them off as well. Check the difference.

Mulreay

Egghead
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Space and Science
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 06:37:12 PM »
    Try disabling all power management on your system from sleep or hibernation mode including hardware devices and if power options are available on BIOS setup, turn them off as well. Check the difference.

And if you need help with any of those processes please post back.
    For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name,
    He marks - not that you won or lost,
    But how you played the game.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

spock

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 04:38:43 PM »
      I have two desktop computers both configured similarly, same O.S., etc. and they BOTH have this problem
      "It's always something!"-Gilda Radner

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 04:40:18 PM »
      I'm not a fan of sleep or hibernation. Try setting the power options to have the display and hd to power down after a defined period of inactivity. Let's see if that works better for you.