Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Spanking New Monitor  (Read 2693 times)

Teeman

Topic Starter

Beginner

Spanking New Monitor
    « on: January 27, 2011, 07:02:34 PM »
    Hi best help out there. I always come here when I need help. But I did some reading and didn't see this topic.

SOOooo

I got a bran new monitor today.  A Acer 24' S243HL. Love it so far. I'm going to be using my XBox and PC on it.

So right now I have fix the screen size and just Playing with it. But I'm not getting any sound out of the internal speakers.  I have tried both Xbox and Utube Videos. But nothing.

Can anyone help. Please

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Spanking New Monitor
    « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 09:28:06 PM »
    Check first Device Manager, Sound Controllers/Adapter for any marks. You may have overlook at any drivers needed to be installed. You should also need to post if you have any external speakers being used. There are Control Panel settings for the OS, built-in/added sound card to check. Also check for the Xbox audio settings, if any.

Teeman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 01:35:27 PM »
      OK I have done more playing with it and came up with something that would work best for my house hold.

What I would like to have is a VGA switch box. 2 VGA's in and 1 VGA out. Is there even one out there?

What is slowing me down with this is my turtle beach head phones that works with Xbox and PC. I get no sound out of them. But my old RCA hock ups will work is I find this VGA Switch box.

Teeman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 02:03:57 PM »
        Sorry to reply to myself. But I just found this. Now I wounder how well it would work with the quality of the images for my XBox.

Manual Switchbox Db15f for Vga Monitors 2x1 Ab

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 02:05:20 PM »
        So right now I have fix the screen size and just Playing with it. But I'm not getting any sound out of the internal speakers.  I have tried both Xbox and Utube Videos. But nothing.

Are you using VGA or HDMI input? If you are using a VGA video connection, did you also connect the audio lead? (3.5mm stereo jack plug at each end) If you did, have you explored the onscreen menus and checked the volume level is above zero? Also, if you have an audio lead connected to the monitor audio input, take the other end, (the jack that would plug in the computer or Xbox audio output), and touch the tip with your finger. Do you hear a hum from the monitor's speakers? If you plug that jack into the headphone outlet of an mp3 player, does the audio come out of the speakers?

A small point... even the cheesiest of cheapo desktop speakers are going to sound better than the little speakers that can be fitted into the bezel of an LCD flat panel monitor. I know. I have an AOC 24 inch monitor.

Teeman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 02:28:01 PM »
          Are you using VGA or HDMI input? If you are using a VGA video connection, did you also connect the audio lead? (3.5mm stereo jack plug at each end) If you did, have you explored the onscreen menus and checked the volume level is above zero? Also, if you have an audio lead connected to the monitor audio input, take the other end, (the jack that would plug in the computer or Xbox audio output), and touch the tip with your finger. Do you hear a hum from the monitor's speakers? If you plug that jack into the headphone outlet of an mp3 player, does the audio come out of the speakers?

A small point... even the cheesiest of cheapo desktop speakers are going to sound better than the little speakers that can be fitted into the bezel of an LCD flat panel monitor. I know. I have an AOC 24 inch monitor.

What my monitor has for inputs is Two HDMI's and one VGA then one audio.

So when it comes to the Xbox. If I would like to go HDMI. I would have to find a RCA Ab. for my Turtle Beach head phones. It is a discontinued idem.
          I have a VGA cable for my Xbox that works vary good.

I don't think my PC has a HDMI. If it did, I would be set. I'm scared to look. Just because I hate to make a Mess of all the cables, for a sec of a look.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 02:39:58 PM »
          What my monitor has for inputs is Two HDMI's and one VGA then one audio.

So did you use an audio cable or not? And have you tried the other things I suggested?

Teeman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 01:06:48 PM »
            So did you use an audio cable or not? And have you tried the other things I suggested?

Yes I did. For the audio my monitor has only a Input.

But what I have came up with, is a KVM switch. Just trying to find a way to get power to Port 2, from the Xbox.

But that's all I'll have to do now. I get the Xbox screen for about 2 sec's then the Monitor will go on stand by. Is that a power thing or setting thing??

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 07:33:43 PM »
            Do you mean connecting the PC and the Xbox together with the monitor here and having sound problem?

Teeman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 02:35:16 PM »
              Yes It started out that way. But now I'm leaning in other directions. With the KVM switch that I got yesterday. I did have sound from both. But no Video from the Xbox. It wound come on for about 2 sec's then go off and the monitor would say No signal. The sound works sweet now. I was looking more in to it at some other forums about KVM switches for Xbox. The one that a lot of people say works good is the TRENDnet 2-Port USB KVM Switch Kit. I got the D-link KVM 221. They just said it wouldn't work. Not what happens. But it was all I could find in my small town. So now I know. Once I find a TRENDnet 2-Port USB KVM Switch Kit and Try it out. I'll get back to you guys and tell you my Out come.

But yes I wish I knew what I needed to do at the Start of the topic. Sorry for that.