Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Remove Refresh Rates from CRT Monitor Driver  (Read 4218 times)

A.A.5

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Remove Refresh Rates from CRT Monitor Driver
    « on: January 28, 2011, 11:58:33 AM »
    Background
    Perhaps you are familiar with the 'Crysis 60hz' refresh rate issue.
    Crysis is a 2007 game, with groundbreaking graphics that arguable paved the way for the eye Candy in all the shoot-em ups today (but not for the game-story writing, which is arguably better...)
    Anyway, despite all their high end shader models and destructible vegetation, the game won't run at anything higher than 60hz refresh rate in full screen - its not so much a technical issue, as it runs windowed at higher rates just fine...
    Anyway, the one work around, besides adjusting your monitor's projection while in windowed mode, that I found, was to create a monitor drive that did not include support (in my case ) 1024x768@60hz and @ 75hz etc.
    Unfortunately, that was a few reformat's ago and I can't seem to remember, much less find, the software I used to do this, or if I did, how to use it to properly create a driver.

Issue
    To the point, I need to create a monitor driver for my monitor which is missing undesired refresh-rates (resolution settings IRC but its the rates I am after.) I don't want programs to be able to access 1024x768 @ 60 Hz. I have done this once before, and completely forget what to do.

Maybe someone on these boards can point me in the right direction.

P.S.
    No, I do not want to lock or force my refresh rate. That will not appease the God, Crysis64.exe, or his half brother. They laugh in defiance at your RefreshForce, pitiful Catalyst and other refresh rate locking software. Or they crash.

P.S.S.
    My specific hardware is a Studioworks E700B if someone wants to do the work for me...
    System is Phenom II 955 BE, 4 harddrives ( ???), SSD, and GPU card is ATI HD 5770 (Sapphire Juniper XT)

Thanks much.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Remove Refresh Rates from CRT Monitor Driver
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 01:56:14 PM »
    Crysis will run at 75M refresh rate fine...

Not sure where your info is from.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

A.A.5

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 02:03:59 PM »
      I didn't say it won't.
      It just won't allow itself too unless its the only option.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 02:09:52 PM »
      the game won't run at anything higher than 60hz refresh rate in full screen - its not so much a technical issue, as it runs windowed at higher rates just fine...

Apparently you did...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

A.A.5

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 05:05:33 PM »
        K, poor wording. Clarified in post 3.
        More specifically - there is no setting, config, etc, and as stated before refresh overrides tend to be..overridden.
        Theres plenty of info on the web about the problem, but not too much on solutions.
        So, how do you get it to run at 75z+. . .