Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installed 2 copies of XP on the same machine. It's 1 too many  (Read 3145 times)

kcbolen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Installed 2 copies of XP on the same machine. It's 1 too many
    « on: January 29, 2011, 12:02:35 PM »
    My grand daughter's machine, running on XP Home, was loaded with ad/spy/virus'.  I've cleaned up the machine but the search function and help & support are missing.  I borrowed a full copy of XP Home to retrieve some files To repair her os.  To demonstrate my vast computer knowledge I installed a second copy of xp on the same hdd.  Now when I boot I get a choice of booting to her valid copy or booting to the new pirated copy.  All that verbiage to ask, How can I 'uninstal' the added copy without losing her original?

Thanks for any help, Ken B

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Installed 2 copies of XP on the same machine. It's 1 too many
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 12:20:23 PM »
    Boot to the XP installation you wish to keep. Then open Windows Explorer and delete the folder containing the other version. Don't worry, it won't let you delete the version to which you are booted. Afterward, open the boot.ini file and delete the obsolete entry.

kcbolen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 12:59:29 PM »
      It's like booting to 2 separate drives.  Only one shows in my computer, explorer or cmd prompt at anyy one tim depending on which one I boot to.  The drive letters are the same in both.  Can I mabey use the cd by booting to the new drive and using the uninstall command with no underlying os to revert to?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 04:03:53 PM »
      Post a screenshot of Disk Management as it's unclear what you have done...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kcbolen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 08:50:53 PM »
        Perhaps this is more descriptive of my problem.  It's like a 2 boot system.  At startup I get  a select f2 for bios.... The second screen gives a boot choice of 2 lines of "MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION"  Using the first option boots to my new, unauthorized version.  Using the second choice boots to the original pre-installed version.  Some files are present in both versions, some not.  While I have one version open the other is invisible.  So I don't see how to delete the unauthorized version from within the legal version.
        As computers & I often have different ideas of right thing/wrong thing.  A question that seems logical to me doesn't necessarily make it right, but:  Since the computer will boot by default boot to the new version after 20 seconds can I use the  uninstall command on the install disk remove it?
        I'm not too familiar with forums but I'll try to paste a file of 4 screen shots.  It contains 'computer management' from both versions and probably of more of a visual concept a shot of 'windows explorer' from both.  If the file won't load or is illegible I'll send screen shots from this version and reboot to send shots of the original version.
        (There is no drive F but an option to remove it)

Thanks again,
        Ken B

I've discovered yet another flaw in my vast knowledge of computers,  I've not been able to figure how to add files and/or screen shots to my post.  I'll work on that & get them up asap.

kcbolen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 09:12:23 PM »
          I hope I've done this right!

kcbolen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 09:14:26 PM »
            I'm trying to load a file.  I hope it's right this time!http://www.mediafire.com/?hbozaci055bcnhv

JJ 3000

Egghead
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 09:30:59 PM »
            From computer management click on disk management. Now follow the instructions here:
            http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=61232.0
            Save a Life!
            Adopt a homeless pet.
            http://www.petfinder.com/

kcbolen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 09:51:59 PM »
              THANK YOU!
              Everything is so easy............When you know how!