Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP will not complete installation  (Read 3620 times)

scout989

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    XP will not complete installation
    « on: January 29, 2011, 08:14:14 PM »
    Hi all,

I'm trying to install XP on a new HDD and it's not working.  First off, computer info:
    Old ASUS mobo (don't know the model, but it's from ~2005)
    Celeron 3.2 gHz single-core processor
    Seagate Barracuda 1gb HDD
    HP DVD writer
    CD-ROM drive from 2002

Perhaps because the mobo is so old, it wouldn't let me boot from my new (SATA) DVD drive, so I'm using a really old (PATA) CD drive from my wife's broken-down machine to try to install.  The HDD is SATA also, of course.

So I have no problems for the first part of the install.  Everything goes well up until the point where the system reboots.  Thereafter, XP goes back and tries to start the installation all over again.  I've done this four times now.  Twice, it acted as though the previous installs weren't there.  Twice, it recognized the previous installs as a separate OS and wanted to write over them instead of completing the install.

What do I do next?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: XP will not complete installation
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 09:37:04 PM »
    So I have no problems for the first part of the install.  Everything goes well up until the point where the system reboots.  Thereafter, XP goes back and tries to start the installation all over again.  I've done this four times now
    As a first test for the new HD . Try using another PC with SATA compatible,install by using the XP OS CD to rule out the old mobo, optical drive. On the old mobo, you could try installing with one or the other stick of RAM and swap test with another, same PSU.

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 12:36:55 AM »
    What happens if you take the CD out of the drive?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

scout989

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 01:38:17 PM »
      Thanks for the replies.

jason, I don't have access to another computer, so I wasn't able to try your suggestion.

JJ, it seems your question solved my problem.  I meant to give it a shot, but the very next time I tried installing, with your idea in mind, it worked!  I still don't understand it, but I'm not about to look this gift install in the teeth :)