Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Memory usage  (Read 2983 times)

stealthninja2

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Memory usage
    « on: January 28, 2011, 09:31:53 PM »
    Hello, I'm new to the site and so far it's been really good. I hope I could get some help. I have 8GB of ram installed on my system. The performance tab says that only 1.5 is in use. Can I higher it to get more performance and is it a good idea? Also Will lowering virtual memory raise the amount of physical memory being used?

Thank You!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: Memory usage
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 01:50:38 AM »
    Do not worry about system performance if your not having any lagging problem unless there is a need for a particular program.
    You might wanna read here how it works --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paging
    *Right-click My Computer icon,Properties, on General tab, what is the current RAM specified?

stealthninja2

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 05:20:29 AM »
      Thanks for the reply. It says installed memory (RAM) is 8.00 GB.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 06:40:50 AM »
      I agree that having 6.5 Gb free is odd. What OS are you using? And in the Processes tab of Task Manager, how many processes are loaded?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 09:16:39 AM »
      The performance tab says that only 1.5 is in use

Since Vista and 7 do not have a "performance tab" I think we can discount those two as your OS;

on the other hand, XP doesn't have a "performance" tab, that I can find; the closest is the dialog you get when you open System properties, switch to the "Advanced" tab, and click the "performance" button, where it tells you the total paging file size for all drives; For windows XP, the maximum "default" size is 1.5 times the amount of installed RAM; so if the system had 1GB of memory when Windows was initially installed, then you would still have the virtual memory set to 1.5GB.

IF you could explain exactly where this "performance" tab is, that might help; the last consumer version of windows to have a "Performance" tab was windows 9x, and I'd be surprised if that would boot with 8GB of memory, and it certainly wouldn't recognize all of it.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 09:24:03 AM »
      He's referring the the performance tab in task manager

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      « Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 09:32:33 AM »
      He's referring the the performance tab in task manager

oooh.. duh.

Hmm, for Vista or 7 that would be odd; usually Superfetch gobbles up any and all unused memory.

If Superfetch is disabled, however- then that memory will no doubt display as free memory.

stealthninja2: disabling/reducing Virtual Memory will not make more physical memory used. In fact, virtual memory is only used when an application specifically says "I want this to be in the pagefile, not in physical memory" which it usually does for a good reason, or when physical memory is getting tight and some of the data in physical RAM is swapped to the pagefile to allow another application (generally the foreground application) to use that memory. In fact, disabling Virtual Memory is a bad idea because it basically throws a monkey wrench in the works- without a pagefile, the virtual Memory manager has to work with memory in far larger chunks (it's been a while, I forget the particulars of why, but it involves the processor's support for Virtual Paging or something); and this, in general, greatly decreases memory throughput on the part of the memory manager (since most RAM accesses and writes are not multiples of 64K).

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

stealthninja2

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 02:43:53 PM »
        I have an x4 945 phenom quad core. I just want the best performance from my ram possible.

Thank You

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 06:19:17 PM »
        Then talk to your RAM...
        Tell it it needs to perform at it's highest expectations....anything less is un acceptable.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 09:18:50 PM »
        What Windows version is it?
        64-bit, or 32-bit?