Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Huge speed disparity between wireless and wired connection  (Read 9786 times)

Poyples

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Huge speed disparity between wireless and wired connection
    « on: January 29, 2011, 09:17:35 AM »
    I guess this is likely to be a repeat topic but I checked back to October and didn't see anything to help me...

We've just upgraded our internet to 50Mb thanks to a nice deal we got and they had to come out and install a new modem as the old one didn't support the higher speed. Since then I've got a huge difference between the wireless speed I'm getting compared to the wired connection.

The first one is my desktop PC, the second one is my laptop. The set up is pretty simple, just a router going into the modem, a cable from the router to the desktop, then the laptop connecting wirelessly. I'm actually getting slower speeds on the wireless than I got before we upgraded the internet as before I tended to get close to the full 10Mb.

The laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ61-401sa.
    The router is Netgear WGR614 v6

Poyples

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Huge speed disparity between wireless and wired connection
      « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 03:03:56 PM »

Is what I get when I plug the laptop in to the router with a cable like I used for the desktop in the original test.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 09:08:02 PM »
      I tended to get close to the full 10Mb
      Have you check the wireless network card supported speed? Try looking into your device manager for your wireless card and right-click and choose Properties->Advanced tab and look for a setting speed and duplex, link...Look up at the right for its Value. If its in Auto, try changing it to 10 Mbps or the supported speed connection of your network adapter,click ok. If specified value is full/half, change other value and try rebooting and check the difference.

TechGeek

Intermediate
        • Guide to WiFi Optimization
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 09:09:55 PM »
      You'll need to upgrade your wireless network from wireless G to wireless N. You need a main wireless N router and the client's wireless adapters should support wireless N.

N supports speeds up to 300 mbps. G is only up to 54 mbps. I think that's your problem. 8 bits per byte + overhead + connection strength shows why you're getting slower speeds.
      I help run my home improvement and home automation forum.

Poyples

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 07:16:52 AM »
        Have you check the wireless network card supported speed? Try looking into your device manager for your wireless card and right-click and choose Properties->Advanced tab and look for a setting speed and duplex, link...Look up at the right for its Value. If its in Auto, try changing it to 10 Mbps or the supported speed connection of your network adapter,click ok. If specified value is full/half, change other value and try rebooting and check the difference.

It was set to Auto so I tried both half and full duplex on 100Mbps as we're supposedly on a 50Mb line, but there was no change in the speed we received...

You'll need to upgrade your wireless network from wireless G to wireless N. You need a main wireless N router and the client's wireless adapters should support wireless N.

N supports speeds up to 300 mbps. G is only up to 54 mbps. I think that's your problem. 8 bits per byte + overhead + connection strength shows why you're getting slower speeds.

Would that do anything to explain the the drop in speed since the upgrade. I used to download from newsgroups at a rate of 1,200KBps, which from my limited knowledge is the full speed of 10Mb broadband. Since the upgrade on the same router and laptop it's slowed to around 500KBps, which is about 4Mb broadband?

How do I find out if my laptop's adapter supports Wireless N? Am I eventually going to need a wireless N router even if the slow down is a different problem? Just want to be 100% sure it's something I need before I spend money on it.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 09:05:48 AM »
        Would that do anything to explain the the drop in speed since the upgrade. I used to download from newsgroups at a rate of 1,200KBps, which from my limited knowledge is the full speed of 10Mb broadband. Since the upgrade on the same router and laptop it's slowed to around 500KBps, which is about 4Mb broadband?

How do I find out if my laptop's adapter supports Wireless N? Am I eventually going to need a wireless N router even if the slow down is a different problem? Just want to be 100% sure it's something I need before I spend money on it.

You can safely ignore the "advice" regarding your "need" for wireless-N; first, their math is flawed; the  speedtest.net speed you are being given is already in megabits per second, and last I checked the speed you are getting of 2.59mbps is nowhere near the Wireless-G speed of 54mbps, and I doubt it has anything to do with signal degradation, because I would hope that was the first thing you checked (if it is and you can't seem to get a good signal though, I'd suspect the "missing antenna" issue, I've seen it happen before). Aside from that, the router configuration could have been changed (or, if they replaced the router entirely, it may not have an optimal setup (it may be configured for wireless-a/b, which in may cases would have about the given speeds)

All that said, clearly, as you've noted- the difference started when they replaced what I  would imagine was your access point; either your wireless router, or something similar- either that, or they may have changed settings inadvertently or otherwise. It could even be something as conspicuous as one of the antennas or the antenna having been removed during installation and simply not replaced.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Poyples

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 09:29:33 AM »
          Well it's the same router we had before and my signal is always the full 5 bars so I doubt it's an antenna being removed.

What sort of settings are likely to have changed? I logged onto my router and on wireless settings it was set as 'b or g' so I changed it to g only and I'm still getting much slower speeds of about 6mbps at the moment.

asles

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 04:24:14 PM »
          Not so simple ...but a solution.... for Window 7 Proffesional.

1) Open Network and Sharing Center
          2)On left side- Change Adapter Settings
          3) Right Click Local Area Connection
          4)Go to Proerties
          5) Hit Configure
          6) Select Advanced Tab
          7)Go down to Link Speed & Duplex
          8)In pull down Set To: Auto Negotiation

This should fix Ethernet speed issue ...

It did not set as a default on my Laptop

Mfg working on fix..
          Annoying be will temp fix problem... may have to repeat all the time :(

AHS

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 05:56:31 PM »
          1) Open Network and Sharing Center
          2)On left side- Change Adapter Settings
          3) Right Click Local Area Connection
          4)Go to Proerties
          5) Hit Configure
          6) Select Advanced Tab
          7)Go down to Link Speed & Duplex
          8)In pull down Set To: Auto Negotiation
          See Reply #4:  "...It was set to Auto so I tried both half and full duplex on 100Mbps as we're supposedly on a 50Mb line, but there was no change in the speed we received..."

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 07:17:06 PM »
          The Wireless adapter has a 802.11 networking standard. Check the wireless card if it supports b/g/n or b/g only against the router mode settings/features. If its in mixed mode(b/g/n) set on router, follow the wireless card support(b/g) and set the router to b/g mode and check the difference.