Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot Activate XP  (Read 3624 times)

McGuire

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Cannot Activate XP
    « on: February 05, 2011, 06:04:19 AM »
    I'm working on an HP desktop running XP sp3.  The mobo, and other components, were changed out and now it is not recognized as an HP OEM machine and can't be activated.  The owner used a an activation and WGA hack and was able to use the machine for a couple months until MS caught up with it and now it won't get beyond the login screen without activation.  I do have a copy of XP I used on one other machine that's not being used anymore and thought maybe I could transfer it.  I'd like to simply change the product key, without reinstalling, but can't get past the Activation lock out.  If I can get in and manipulate the registry I could change the key.  I can get in with a Hiren's boot disk, but I'm not sure what path the get to the registry.  Any thoughts?

Salmon Trout

Re: Cannot Activate XP
    « Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 06:44:39 AM »
    1. Given this forum's policies on helping to bypass WGA, Microsoft EULAs, etc, I firmly believe the only advice possible is "re-install a version of Windows for which the computer owner holds a valid license."
    2. Given the fact that you have changed the motherboard and "other components", the previous Windows installation is now functionally (as well as legally) invalid for the hardware it now finds.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 06:49:25 AM »
    And there's always the option of contacting MS....

Other than that we're done here.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

McGuire

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 06:59:47 AM »
      ... forum's policies ... Funny!  Wouldn't it be better to say you don't know?  Or better yet, say nothing at all!

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 07:09:08 AM »
      ... forum's policies ... Funny!  Wouldn't it be better to say you don't know?  Or better yet, say nothing at all!

Funny? Why? The forum rules are quite clear about piracy and bypassing/cracking copyright protection. You agreed to them when you joined. It wouldn't have been "better" to say I didn't know how to do what you ask about. It would be untrue, because I do know, exactly how to do it. To say I didn't know, and leave it at that, might appear to leave the thread unresolved and possibly seem to invite somebody else to provide an answer, which might remain for a while before the moderators removed it. It would still less have been "better" to say nothing at all, for the same reason. It would, however, have been "better" (for you) to have said nothing at all, because now you are known as a requester of cracking help and an argumentative type of poster, and this bodes ill for you.

McGuire

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 07:13:23 AM »
        Sorry I don't have time to read all your post Salmon.

If any one runs across this post wants the answer, I found it on "Microsoft Answer" site at: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xpsecurity/thread/387f3367-5fc4-4aa1-937d-6788a626029d

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 07:21:56 AM »
        That link refers to a method of reactivating a legally licensed copy of Windows. McGuire's question asked how to bypass the OEM check on an OEM-licensed installation of Windows, after the OEM qualifying hardware had been removed.

McGuire

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 07:30:20 AM »
          Wrong again!

I only needed to get into the registry to change a value in OOBETimer.  Now, I was able to chage the product key and voila, XP is legal an activated.

Now go put your pants on Salmon!

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 08:19:09 AM »

Wrong again!

Salmon wasn't wrong, he answered the questions that you asked. You found a solution to your own problem, good for you.

Now go put your pants on Salmon!

As far as that goes, its better to wear pants than diapers, was there any need for it??
          11 cheers for binary !

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 08:47:16 AM »
          The problem seems to be solved and now we're in silly mode, so I'm marking it solved and locking the thread.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 08:56:58 AM »
          I should have locked my 1st time thru....my bad.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "