Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SuperDave sent me to you for help with my router.  (Read 2328 times)

Larecr

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    SuperDave sent me to you for help with my router.
    « on: February 02, 2011, 01:43:51 PM »
    My problem is that anytime I open a file that is already on the computer or save a file onto the computer, I am immediately disconnected from the internet.  It doesn't matter if I have a browser window open at the time or not.  I lose the connection regardless.  It also doesn't matter what kind of file it is (text, picture, music, etc..).  Something else you should know is that I have a laptop connected through the same router, and it pretty much stays connected until this one is disconnected.  When this one gets disconnected, that one does too.  When we first got this computer, I tried to set it up to be able to share files with the laptop, but everytime I attempted it I lost my connection for both.  I am able to download without a problem, but after the download is complete, if I try to save it to a specific folder or to the desktop, I am disconnected at that time.  If I click "Run" it wil do fine.  But if I click "Save", as soon as I tell it WHERE to save it I am disconnected.

I have been coresponding with SuperDave in another forum about the issue.  He is pretty sure my problem is with the router.  So here I am.  Below is the link for the thread from the other forum for you to see what I've done so far.  Thanks in advance for what ever help you can give.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,115364.0.html

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: SuperDave sent me to you for help with my router.
    « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 04:20:27 PM »
    I've looked at your "ipconfig /all" on the other thread.  It seems there may be an IP conflict between the 2 computers.  I suspect you may have your ethernet cables plugged into the wrong ports on the router.

http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/470/kw/router%20connections
    Modem connects to the yellow port (WAN), computers connect to any of the white ports (LAN).

If this checks out OK, then perform a router reset:  http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/80

Larecr

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 10:55:17 AM »
      The cables were already plugged into the correct ports, so we took the router out of the picture and connected to the internet through only the modem.  After getting that set up, I checked to see if opening or saving files would disconnected me and it didn't cause any problem at all.  I assume that means that the problem is with the router like you said.  After figuring that out, I tried to reset the router and it never would reconnect to the internet.  It was late last night so we just took the router back off and connected through the modem again.  I'll try again today and if I still can't get it to work, we'll probably go and look for a modem/router combo to buy.  If you have any other suggestions just let me know.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 11:38:52 AM »
      ...After figuring that out, I tried to reset the router and it never would reconnect to the internet.  It was late last night so we just took the router back off and connected through the modem again....
      You have to reboot the modem & the router, every time the router is removed or reconnected.  Order of power-on is modem, router, then computer.

Larecr

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 11:10:04 PM »
        Ok we went and got a new router.  The modem is still seperate and we're not sure if we're going to replace it or not.  It's the one that the cable company gave us so I'm not sure it's so great.  Anyway now we're connected to the internet, the wireless printer is connected, and the Blu-ray is connected.  I've opened some files and saved some files to see if we would get kicked off and we didn't so I guess so far everything is ok.  I'm not quite ready to connect the laptop yet b/c it needs a new fan and I've heard that may mean it needs a new hard drive.  I hope not, but we'll see.  When I do connect it to the network, I want to set it up to be able to share files with this computer.  When I do that I want to make sure I don't do something wrong and cause new problems.  Should I come back to this forum for and issue like that, or is there another one that's more appropriate?  Btw thank you very much for the help you and SuperDave gave to me.