Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Friends computer will not boot. Virus suspected  (Read 3735 times)

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
  • Long in the tooth, shy between the ears
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Friends computer will not boot. Virus suspected
« on: February 03, 2011, 09:42:16 AM »
MY friends laptop will not boot.  :P   Everytime he tries it gives a message that  "computer is shutting down to prevent possible damge" and it shuts off.   He is not even able to bring it up in "SAFE" mode and I have forgotten how to do that.  (My forgetterer is much stronger than my rememberer)    ;D    He is running XP (with Avast AV) while I am using windows 7. 
      He had AVG which expired some time ago.  Yet just before all this happened he got a message from AVG saying that he had several corrupted files and Trojans.   Does anyone have any suggestions?   
   I am going over to his house in a while to see if I can help him.   I am taking my laptop with me so, hopefullly, I will still be in contact with ComputerHope.   Thank you in advance for any help that yo can give,  JIM
You are much appreciated..     Thank you ,

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Friends computer will not boot. Virus suspected
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 09:46:32 AM »
Please follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs:
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
  • Long in the tooth, shy between the ears
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Friends computer will not boot. Virus suspected
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 10:14:09 AM »
Thank you for your reply.   I went to my friend's housse and tried to get the machine operational with no luck.  No way to boot up let alone access the net.  I was able top run a memtest but that was all.  We couldn't even re-install his OS (XP).    After three hours I gave up and He took it to a repair shop.  :-\  That was Friday, not sure what the status is now.   Anyway I wanted to thank you for your time and effort.    Hopefully I will be able to make better use of it next time. :)   JIM
You are much appreciated..     Thank you ,