Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't access internet on HP 6715b. 100.0Mbps on 2 other PC's on this connection  (Read 6043 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
 I've had my HP 6715b laptop (in my specs) connected to the internet via wi-fi for a few months while staying at a hotel due to my work, but now I have it at my house. I'm trying to connect to the internet with the HP via Metro-cast cable at my home, and it won't connect via IE or FF.

As the thread title shows, I have other PC's that connect fine on this service. All of those are offline/disconnected {except at this moment since I'm online with my Toshiba (in specs).
 When trying to connect with the HP I keep getting this:
'server not found'
then
 You might not be able to access the internet or some network resources. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks,
Mike

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
More information.

Specs for HP 6715b

This appears (to me) to be a problem with the communication between my PC and the cable modem (modem is service providers).
My built in ethernet adapter is Broadcom Netlink. In "Network Connections"  it shows "limited or no connectivity". When I click "Repair" it tries with no success then displays "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address
For assistance, contact the person who manages your network".

I phoned my ISP and he said I should have no problem with receiving the signal from the modem as long as I have my adapter settings configured as; 'Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) - properties' = 'Obtain IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server addresses automatically'

I also tried uninstalling / reinstalling the adapter with no joy.

Device manager shows no problems or conflicts with the adapter.

I have used this PC connected to ATT U-verse and my employers wired network via this adapter recently with no problems, although since then I have had it disabled while using this PC via WiFi. But it is now enabled again.

Also, is this post in the correct forum or should it be in hardware or elsewhere? If so, mods help me out.

Thanks for any directions. I really need this PC online ASAP.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
I found this guide for setting my network adapter to default, but at step 9 my PC shows a different window. What am I doing wrong orwhere do I find this guide for my specific version of Windows (XP pro sp3 build 2600 & Broadcom Netlink ethernet adapter?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
at step 9 my PC shows a different window
Please post a screenshot of the windows network option. Disable or uncheck any proxy settings on Network adapter and on Browser Internet options,Connections, LAN settings and use Automatic. Check for any VPN or DNS address obtain or specified and disable. Use Windows Firewall only. Have you check your connection on wired LAN also? Is WLAN also not able to connect?

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
I've been working on this with no help for a couple of days and have it so messed up I can't even access the internet with my AT&T USB mobile adapter, so I can't post a screen shot. I'm using my Toshiba PC right now.
 On the HP with the problem I have the LAN settings to automatic. No VPN or DNS addresses are listed. Comodo firewall is now uninstalled and before uninstalling I selected "remove any changes made by Comodo". Windows firewall is off.
I don't know a thing about what WLAN is but I assume it is the communication between hardware within my network. And I don't know how to troubleshoot WLAN, but I did plugin a network cable between my other laptop running Vista and the HP XP Pro, and the Vista PC acknowledged the additional device but the HP still showed "no connectivity" just like when trying to connect to the cable modem.

edit; spelling

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
Oh, no proxy settings either.

thanks
jason2074

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
Save screenshots via USB flashdrive and post it on another working computer.
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=61232.0
Its better if you can post all network options/settings to visualize every configuration per TCP/IP, DNS, WIN tab. While making this, please take a look at Windows services DNS Client startup type. Start->Run->Type services.msc,Ok->Look for DNS Client start up type if its on "Automatic". I assume you are not logging to any kind of User Accounts...

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
OK, but this will take me a while. I'm pretty slow compared to you guru's, but I'll have results posted eventually.  ::)  ;D

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
Problem solved. I feel like a fool but I knew it would end up being simple.
I have cycling power (disconnecting power to the ISP's router for 1 minute >,) trying to get it to assign an IP address to my PC. I never noticed the recessed reset button on the back of thier router. Once I pushed the reset button it connected my adapter to the internet fine.
 Thanks for the help jason2074!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
Once I pushed the reset button it connected my adapter to the internet fine.
That was one thing on my mind concerning a simple reset but glad you got it working again. Thanks for giving back the information. :)