Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to backup this XP Pro OS for later install? No disc came with this PC?  (Read 2607 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
I have a problem with my network adapter connecting to the internet on this PC (HP 6715b in my specs) and I don't think it is a hardware problem, but rather a problem of settings in some advanced settings I messed with weeks ago. I don't remember what I did then and cannot figure out what's wrong now. I need this PC online ASAP and have no more time (after 4 days of trying) to figure it out.
 I'm thinking just install my XP Home OS to see if that will cure my problem and get it online. But I have no disc to reinstall this XP Pro OS that came on the PC when I bought it. What do I need to save to disc in order to be able to recover this OS in the future?
Thanks'
Mike

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: How to backup this XP Pro OS for later install? No disc came with this PC?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 05:44:13 AM »
Check with the manuf. and see if there is a hidden Recovery partition on that machine....
If there is they will have info on creating a CD...

However using it will wipe all your apps and data and take the machine back to Day One status...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 11:00:10 PM »
I ended up backing up all my files to CD and installing Vista X64. I bought this laptop used from a pawn shop and never felt good about running the XP Pro OS because this PC originally had Vista Buisness from the factory (original product key sticker attached). I'm not so sure the XP Pro install wasn't pirated by the previous owner or the pawn shop. And I never could get the OS to show me as the owner in 'computer specs' (discussed in this thread). I bought this Vista X64 from Newegg so I know it's not pirated.  ;)

The network adapter problem turned out to be me not pressing the reset button on the ISP's router. I was trying to get the IP address assigned via cycling power to the router which did not work. Live-and-learn.  :-[

So I've got my XP files saved and online with Vista, so I'm happy.

Thanks once agian patio!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 05:35:48 AM »
Good to hear you're fixed up...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "