Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Crashing and No Longer Switching On  (Read 7299 times)

Sabor117

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer Crashing and No Longer Switching On
    « on: February 08, 2011, 06:38:49 AM »
    Hello to anyone reading this post. I was not sure where to post this on the forums (so if it is in the wrong place then please know it is because I am new to this). I am hoping that someone will be able to help me out with this because I have genuinely no idea what could be wrong with my computer.

First some background: I use a Dell Laptop, the model is a Latitude E6500. When I got it I also made sure to make all the hardware be as good as I could get. As a result it has 8GB of RAM, an Intel dual core processor (I think), unfortunately I cannot remember the rest, and I can't find out the rest because it is not switching on. Basically it is a pretty *censored* good laptop and has a lot of good hardware in it. I run Windows 7 Professional (I don't know if that makes any difference to the type of Windows 7 it is). I also use the free Anti-Virus program Panda (recommended on the Microsoft website) and usually scan my computer once every week or so. So all in all I have a pretty good laptop, and as of last Friday (when I last scanned it) it does not have any viruses or major problems with it (it does have a tendency to overheat and sometimes switches itself off, I THINK, because of this).

Now to the issue:
    Yesterday I had a few programs running. Google Chrome, World of Warcraft, MSN, Skype and I am not sure if anything else was running. Chrome was, at the time only open on Facebook. Then my brother came storming into my room and, for reasons that are far to childish and trivial to post here, he slammed the laptop shut with a LOT of force and yanked out the charger cable as well (I was unfortunately lying down and so was in a poor position to stop him). When I opened the laptop again it ran fine for about a minute and I checked for any visible damage to the computer itself (there was nothing visible, not even a crack on the screen or anything). Suddenly the computer crashed and just switched itself off. At first I thought this might be because it overheated again (as I mentioned this has happened once or twice), but when I clicked the power button the computer acted strangely.
    Now when normally switching on, the computer shows a DELL loading screen (I assume this is to do with the bootstrap loader loading the operating system) followed by some white text in the top left corner (it always disappears before I can read it, but I think it is to do with the model of the laptop) and then the login window appears. When I tried to switch on my computer after the crash, it simply went from the flash of white text to a dark navy blue background and then it stays like that.
    Since then, nothing I do can make it go to the login screen. I have tried pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del at the black screen bit and for some reason that just restarts the DELL loading screen. I tried switching it off and on. I left it on overnight so that it would run out of power, then I plugged it in and switched it on this morning (no affect). I tried pressing F12 for the "Loading Options" (nothing happened). I also tried to pretend that the black screen was the login window and entered my password, hoping that it was just a problem with the screen (once again no affect).

So there you have it, in as much detail as possible. If you have any suggestions for what I could do, if I have posted in the wrong section of the forums, if you could direct me to some other venue of help, then please please please don't hesitate to respond.
    Hoping to hear something soon.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Computer Crashing and No Longer Switching On
    « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 06:42:19 AM »
    Start with a check of your hard disk. Go to the website of your hd manufacturer and download their diagnostic utility. Burn it to disk, boot to it, and let it run.

Sabor117

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 06:48:07 AM »
      I'm really sorry but, I am a at a very low beginner level. How can I find out what my HD manufacturer is (will it be in the specifications of my laptop?). And how can I burn something onto my hard drive if I can't even switch it on? How can I even run it?

Thanks for the information, but really, I have NO idea to go about doing what you suggested :(

It would appear I fail...

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 06:54:19 AM »
      Tell you what, just download seatools: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=seatooldreg&vgnextoid=480bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

As for burning it to cd, use another system.

Sabor117

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 06:58:07 AM »
        Ok, I'll get right on that. Is the Hard Drive likely to have been damaged simply by the blunt force of being slammed shut?

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 06:59:17 AM »
        We'll find out.

tlcummins

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 07:12:32 AM »
          as soon as you press power button start holding down F2 to try and get into the bios setup program, then look to see if there is an option for self test of the harddisk.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 07:14:19 AM »
          Please just follow my instructions. Thank you.

Sabor117

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 08:21:45 AM »
            I am trying to burn the SeaTools thing to a disc. However to do this I am using my downstairs computer, which is a Mac NOT a PC. Will this be an issue?

Sabor117

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 08:28:17 AM »
              I am trying to burn the SeaTools thing to a disc. However to do this I am using my downstairs computer, which is a Mac NOT a PC. Will this be an issue?

Ignore this, I figured it out. I've just inserted the CD with the Diagnostic Program into my laptop. Waiting to see if there any results right now.

Sabor117

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 09:45:23 AM »
                Nothing is really happening...

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 09:52:30 AM »
                Nothing is really happening...
                What does that mean?

Sabor117

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 11:52:13 AM »
                  Well I did as the link you sent me told me. I downloaded the file and burned it straight on a DVD-R. Then I put the DVD-R into my laptop and started it up. But as usual the screen simply went black.

Allan

• Mastermind
                  « Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 11:53:31 AM »
                  Is the cd running the scan? Are you booting to the cd? Did you burn the iso to the cd using an iso burner? If not, follow these instructions:
                  http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

Sabor117

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 12:03:59 PM »
                    Oh... I was just selecting "Burn to disc" when right clicking the file. Hang on, I'll try this.