Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: looking for a SD card reader for my laptop  (Read 2780 times)

kimber

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    looking for a SD card reader for my laptop
    « on: February 08, 2011, 04:24:52 PM »
    I'm looking for a SD card reader for my laptop and have no clue what way to go. i'm guessing it'd have to be USB cause i only have one other slot on my computer to plug things into, i'm not sure what it's called though just that my belkin internet card slides into it. i'm not really sure what brands are good or not. i'm looking for something at a descent price not too expensive. if anyone has any advise i would greatly appreciate  it. thank you

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: looking for a SD card reader for my laptop
    « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 04:53:20 PM »
    This one works very well:  SD Card Reader

kimber

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 02:37:23 PM »
      thanks

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 04:53:06 PM »
        If as it appears you are about to use up the only available USB port to attach your card reader it would be a good time to also get a USB hub before you need it. Which would be the 1st time you want to have another usb device connected when the card reader is also connected. Very inexpensive. truenorth

kimber

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 06:43:46 PM »
          whats a usb hub? and where would be the best place to get one?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 05:29:56 PM »
            They are a common as grass and readily available at almost anywhere that computer hardware is sold. Not knowing your country it is not possible to specifically state a retailer.They are also readily available at on line stores that sell computer stuff. IE Tiger Direct. They come in 2 choices  basically Powered and non powered. I suggest the powered type. Here is a link to help you get a handle on their function (only given for education) not as a recommendation of one to purchase. This link is for powered
            http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/1756.aspx
            Here is a pictoral example of what they look like and what they can do.
            http://www.atpm.com/16.10/newertech-usb-hub.shtml
            When you get to a point of either picking a specific one or feel ready to buy one you can google search your chosen retailer on-line or bricks and mortar retail outlet and peruse their choices. They generally come in 4 or 7 port units. For your interest you can daisy chain up to 128 usb ports from one outlet (not that you will ever want that many) but simply to say they are an excellent way to add the ability of connecting usb peripherals to your computer.truenorth