Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer turning on but not booting  (Read 3212 times)

andressa

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer turning on but not booting
    « on: February 08, 2011, 05:49:54 PM »
    Hello and thanks for the help. My parent's pc wasnt working so I took a look at it. I noticed the chipset fan wasnt working and took it to a repair shop. They said that that wasnt the problem, the CPU was well-ventilated and most likely that chipset wasnt working for a while and the problem was not hardware because they tested it/ According to them, is a SOFTWARE problem and wanted me to pay $85+tax, which I don't have.
    So here's the symptoms: when I press the power button, the lights come on, fans starts and I hear all the familiar noises BUT nothing shows on the monitor.
    One thing I've noticed, whenever it DOES work, it emits a beep right after it turns on and everything goes well. I DO NOT hear that beep when it doesnt work.
    When it DOES work (beep is heard) and windows load, it crashes a few moments after loading desktop and icons, etc.
    Yesterday it did boot and I went to SAFE MODE to try and get all the data and it never crashed! So I think it's probably something on startup that's causing it to crash, right?
    So I've read somewhere to make a AVG boot disk and I've done and tried and switched the boot order to CD/DVD 1st. It was working and then got stuck at some point and I just restarted it but I just get black screen now and NO beep.
    Motherboard model is MSI MS-7125, OS is Windows 7.
    Let me know what else is needed.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH for your time. It is highly appreciated.

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Computer turning on but not booting
    « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 06:03:38 PM »
    Re-seat RAM and all add-on cards.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

andressa

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Computer turning on but not booting
      « Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 07:43:04 PM »
      How do I do that?
      Thanks

Oh, just a quick update.. I was running it normally now (even turned it on and off 3 times) and ran an anti virus and nothing was found. I restarted it to see if it would work again and nothing. Just the black screen and NO beep. It's like random..