Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desperately Need Some Help On Newly Built PC  (Read 5787 times)

Rapidlywild

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Desperately Need Some Help On Newly Built PC
    « on: February 13, 2011, 03:40:19 AM »
    PLEASE HELP ME  :(

Good Afternoon/Morning (which ever applies) To All,

I am chasing some assistance. I have purchased a whole heap of hardware, put it together and I have some issues. Seems that when power is connected, its tripping the house. AGGGGHHHH

I have the following:

Cooler Master GX700
    Gigabyte 880G-UD3h motherboard
    AMD Phenom II x4 965 Quad Core
    4GB RAM

All of this is BRAND NEW and is going into a ThermalTake V6 Case. I have connected the MOtherboard 20+4 Pin to the correct location (only one place it can go) and then I connected the CPU 4+4 Pin to the ATX_12V_2x4 connector on the motherboard. However I am still tripping.

Can anyone offer any asstance? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am at witts ends on what to do....

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Desperately Need Some Help On Newly Built PC
    « Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 03:52:08 AM »
    I have purchased a whole heap of hardware, put it together and I have some issues. Seems that when power is connected, its tripping the house. AGGGGHHHH

What does this mean? Do you mean it's tripping your circuit breaker?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Rapidlywild

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 03:53:11 AM »
      Yes, sorry just frustrated.

When power is connected to the PC, its tripping the circuit breaker in the house...

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 04:03:09 AM »
      The circuit is probably overloaded. Unplug some stuff. Usually, the reason why a circuit is tripped is that there is more load on it than it's supposed to have.
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

Rapidlywild

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 04:23:00 AM »
        Yeah we tried that, we disconnected everything downstairs so the only thing on the circuit was the pc and it still tripped when we attempted to boot the pc

Fed

• Sage
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 04:54:32 AM »
          If you live in a country where the mains supply voltage is 240V make sure the power supply unit isn't set for 110V.
          Look for a little selector switch.

Rapidlywild

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 04:57:13 AM »
            hi there fed, there is no switch on this power supply, its only 240v

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 04:58:00 AM »
            Is this an overcurrent circuit breaker, or a ground-leakage one?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 04:58:36 AM »
            If you live in a country where the mains supply voltage is 240V make sure the power supply unit isn't set for 110V.
            Look for a little selector switch.

I think maybe smoke would have been mentioned...

If the breaker is tripping as soon as the power lead is connected, maybe the PSU is faulty.

Rapidlywild

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 04:59:59 AM »
              Is this an overcurrent circuit breaker, or a ground-leakage one?

I have no idea what you are referring to here, sorry :(

and there is definately no smoke, just throws the circuit everytime power is turned on

Salmon Trout

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 05:15:25 AM »
              I have no idea what you are referring to here, sorry :(

and there is definately no smoke, just throws the circuit everytime power is turned on

There are two kinds of circuit breaker that you get in a house.

1. The kind that trips if too much current is being taken. There will probably be more than one of these, they will have a rating like 10 Amps, 30 Amps, etc. When one trips you have to flip a little lever to put it back on. The purpose of these is to stop a faulty appliance or a short circuit from starting a fire or overheating the wiring. It takes a lot of current to trip one of these. When they trip you might hear a bang or a sizzling sound or see smoke or a flash or smell burning (or some or all of these) coming from the fault location.

2. The kind that protects humans and animals from getting an electric shock from a leakage of current from faulty wiring or a faulty device. These are often called an RCD or RCCB or Residual Current Circuit Breaker or similar. They have a big prominent "TEST" button. You are supposed to press the TEST button from time to time to be sure that the device works. It only takes a very tiny current to trip these. Often there is only one per house.

Rapidlywild

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 05:17:47 AM »
                ok, its definately the first circuit breaker. and we removed everything off the circuit (its for all the powerpoints downstairs) and had only the computer on it, so it definately wasnt overloaded.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 05:20:34 AM »
                ok, its definately the first circuit breaker. and we removed everything off the circuit (its for all the powerpoints downstairs) and had only the computer on it, so it definately wasnt overloaded.

Well, it must have been overloaded, or it wouldn't have tripped, unless it is faulty. Possibly your computer PSU needs to go back for replacement.

Rapidlywild

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 05:23:17 AM »
                  well thats gonna suck as its a brand new psu lol. sigh thanks for all ur help anyway. I have a mate gonna lend me another psu tomorrow so ill test that to determine if its the psu or something else.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 05:32:05 AM »
                  well thats gonna suck as its a brand new psu lol. sigh thanks for all ur help anyway. I have a mate gonna lend me another psu tomorrow so ill test that to determine if its the psu or something else.

Lets hope it didn't kill the mobo. You didn't smell any burning? By the way, you have not said the Amp rating of the breaker. You are running a big hungry PSU - 700 Watts. You could trip a little 5 AMP breaker if it was a bit sensitive. They can take a big current surge at switch on. Are you in Great Britain or another country that uses fused plugs? If so, check the rating of the fuse in the plug. A UK breaker feeding a ring main is usually 30 Amps which is quite a big current, usually there would be quite a drama when one of those trips.

Does it trip as soon as you plug it in, or when you press the power button on the PC?