Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What do I need to learn to begin doing web design?  (Read 5875 times)

Crafty

What do I need to learn to begin doing web design?
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:47:15 AM »
Hi, I want to get into web design but I have no idea were where to start. I would like to teach myself, but like i have already said I have know idea where where to start. Do I have to start by learning html first or something else, or can i just get a program like Dream Weaver and learn that? What do you guys think? What program should I get and what should I study first? Thanks!!

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
Re: What do I need to learn to begin doing web design?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »

Personally, i found learning html using notepad++ a benefit, before using Dreamweaver, because once you have a basic knowledge of html you can understand what Dreamwaver is doing and be able to be more precise in your web design.
11 cheers for binary !

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 05:15:44 PM »
What have you already tried?
Have you seen this?
http://www.100best-free-web-space.com/
I do not endorse any of these. This is for information. Some of these will offer you a free web site and simple toots to build and manage your site.

If you are willing to pay some money, try Netfirms.
http://www.netfirms.com/
Recommended by intelligent people.

experimentaltech

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 10:17:05 PM »
Many websites offer lessons on web design. Just search on the net.
Also, there are a lot of books, but don't take one which is too old.

Crafty

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 07:04:57 PM »
Thankyou for all the replies so so far, but I just need to know one last thing from you guys. I have decided I want to learn html first because I was told it is quite easy to learn. However, there seems to be an awful lot of html tags and other things for me to try and remember from what i have been looking at so far. So could someone tell me if this is the right way to go about learning html, by trying to memorise it all? Or should I just be aware of what it does and copy and paste parts? I am totally stumped and would appreciacte some more help. Thankyou!!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 07:17:20 PM »
You have answered your own question. Either way you will learn. Here is a tool that may help you.
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
It is a browser like to old Netscape. It is a simple 3-in-1 tool. You can view a page written in HTML either as source editor or the WYSIWYG editor. Or as how it will look is most browsers. I like it for making a quick page and doing a few quick modes to get what I want.

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 03:05:50 AM »

There are only about 70 ish html tags and i dont think you will use them all at the beginning stage.

Why dont you just start learning it and, erm..........learn it as you go along. Would you start reading a book by memorizing all the words in the dictionary first? No, as you come to a word then you learn it, as you go along.

Alot of html can be copy and paste.
11 cheers for binary !

gluxon

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 04:11:55 PM »
I recommend learning at w3schools.com

Remember to always check your creations for compliance with the w3c validator tool ;)

Caliban

Rookie

• CalibanComputer.com
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 06:31:17 PM »
I'll throw my $.02 worth in:

As you're surfing the 'net and you come across a website that you like, or if a site displays something you're interested in, look at the code!

Simply right-click on a page, and in the context menu click 'View Source' (if you're using IE) or 'View Page Source' (if using Firefox) - you will then be presented with a separate browser page showing all of the tricks used by the website's author.

Great way to learn, because you can correlate what you see with how it's written.
Constantly Sharpening Occam's Razor...