Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer freezing due to suspected heat damaged CPU  (Read 4747 times)

Anderan

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Computer freezing due to suspected heat damaged CPU
    « on: February 15, 2011, 05:21:46 PM »
    My story is a bit long so I'll try to make it short. Last August I built myself a PC, all seemed well at first but occasionally it would freeze, both on the desktop with nothing running and while playing a game, if there was any type of sound playing when it froze emit a horrible screeching sound. At first I assumed it was overheating and wasn't a sever problem as it didn't happen very often. Over time though it would occur more and more frequently. When I first built the PC I had to install windows xp while I waited until my Windows 7 disk arrived and I assumed that using an old version of XP might be causing conflicts with the drives (I couldn't update it because I am unable to hook that particular computer up to the internet).

After installing 7 the problem still persisted, so I proceeded to reinstall virtually all the drivers. This didn't help so I assumed that the problem might be due to something overheating, so I removed the cover on the PC and pointed a fan at it. This didn't solve the problem either, so I proceeded to do some extra research on the problem and found that other people were having a similar problem though there isn't a common piece of hardware between my system and theirs so that was of little help other than narrowing down the possible causes of the problem to one of the following.

1) A bad mobo
    2) A bad PSU
    3) A damaged CPU

I decided to take my PC and have it looked at at a local computer place. The guy there said that he found some bad sectors on the HDD (after testing it several several times) so I bought a new HDD, this didn't fix the problem either, in fact while installing windows 7 on the new HDD the computer froze, so he said that it must be something to do with my SATA ports on my mobo. Since my mobo was re-certified and not brand new I believed him and bought a new mobo, this didn't do anything either. I ended up buying a PSU tester and tested my PSU to see if it was the problem, its not. So all that's left me with only PSU as a probable source of the freezing. The freezing is completely random, on some days the PC works fine, most it freezes constantly as soon as it starts up or works for only a few hours then freezes.

Before dropping for a new CPU I wanted to get some advice from someone to see what they say, in case there is any possible source I could have missed. I find the possibility of the CPU being damaged from heat due to a "mishap" with a loose nut on the heatsink, causing it to have virtually no contact with the CPU, when I checked the temp it was around 200° C if I remember correctly, though I may be mistaken.

My PC:
    MSI 890FXA-GD70
    AMD Phenom II x4 965 Quad Core Black Edition
    CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB)
    2 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB
    GTX 260 Twin Frozr

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer freezing due to suspected heat damaged CPU
    « Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 08:24:27 PM »
    I ended up buying a PSU tester and tested my PSU to see if it was the problem, its not. So all that's left me with only PSU as a probable source of the freezing. The freezing is completely random, on some days the PC works fine, most it freezes constantly as soon as it starts up or works for only a few hours then freezes.

No, I do not have an answer. Not even a good suggestion. But I wonder if you would share with us how you tested the PSU. I have worked several years as a technician and never found a quick way to test a power supply other taht by direct substitution.

MSI 890FXA-GD70
    AMD Phenom II x4 965 Quad Core Black Edition
    CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB)
    2 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB
    GTX 260 Twin Frozr

If the mobo has built in video, have you tried to run without the GTX installed?

There is no easy way to prove that any of the components do NOT cause the problem. The problem is apparently random and not heat related. Did you try an extensive RAM testt? One that lasts for a hour.

Also either of the WD hard drives are potentially the problem. I am not trying to bad mouth WD, Seagate has also had issues with huge drives.

Software issue.
    You should be aware there are specific issues with dual and quad core CPUs that differ from single core CPUs. It is a software issue, and I don't think  anybody explain it in simple terms. What I do kn o is the manufacture does not advertise the problem. You have to ask.

AMD processors undergo extensive testing to help ensure compatibility with Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, Windows NTŪ, Windows 2000, as well as Linux ...
    Which would suggest that there potentially might be a problem with software. That is because a few programmers do strange things in software. Especially Bill Gates.

Here is a picture found on another forum. May not apply to you.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]
    « Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:39:33 PM by Geek-9pm »

Anderan

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 08:42:23 PM »
      Thanks for the reply.

No, I do not have an answer. Not even a good suggestion. But I wonder if you would share with us how you tested the PSU. I have worked several years as a technician and never found a quick way to test a power supply other taht by direct substitution.

I purchased a tester off of newegg, I tested the PSU and the tech i took it too tested it and found no problem with it.

If the mobo has built in video, have you tried to run without the GTX installed?

I overlooked doing this, I'll try running the computer a few times w/o it.

There is no easy way to prove that any of the components do NOT cause the problem. The problem is apparently random and not heat related. Did you try an extensive RAM testt? One that lasts for a hour.

I have ran a full RAM test and it found no errors.

Also either of the WD hard drives are potentially the problem. I am not trying to bad mouth WD, Seagate has also had issues with huge drives.

I suppose it is possible, but I don't know of anyone that has had this particular problem due to these drives.

Software issue.
      You should be aware there are specific issues with dual and quad core CPUs that differ from single core CPUs. It is a software issue, and I don't think  anybody explain it in simple terms. What I do kn o is the manufacture does not advertise the problem. You have to ask.
      Which would suggest that there potentially might be a problem with software. That is because a few programmers do strange things in software. Especially Bill Gates.

Again I guess its possible, but as I said in my post it does it while nothing but windows is running (nothing in the background) and I haven't heard of many people having issues with multi-core processors with Windows 7.

Anderan

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 01:02:22 PM »
        Crap now I feel stupid, I forgot to mention that the computer occasionally resets itself, I'm not sure if its related to the freezing or not.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 01:57:51 PM »
        Earlier you said you did not hear of problems with the  AMD quad and Windows 7.
        On the AND forum there posts that indicate there are known issues.
        http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=319&threadid=140856
        Have you already looked at the AMD forum?

Anderan

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 07:01:01 PM »
          I looked around but the only issue that i've seen with my CPU that other people have is some slightly high temps.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 07:30:29 PM »
          1. Try going into safemode to check for any probable software/driver issue.
          2. Any incident of overclocking?
          3. Run your computer with minimum requirements either when playing games or even when having trouble       formatting the PC.
          4. Make sure to check your PSU can handle all components added,changed/upgrade or required.

Anderan

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 10:44:10 PM »
            1. Try going into safemode to check for any probable software/driver issue.
            2. Any incident of overclocking?
            3. Run your computer with minimum requirements either when playing games or even when having trouble       formatting the PC.
            4. Make sure to check your PSU can handle all components added,changed/upgrade or required.

sorry for the late reply, anyways

1. i have ran it in safemode, still freezes

2. i have not overclocked anything

3. still freezes

4. my PSU is 750w and is more than enough to power my equipment.

Fed

• Sage
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 11:00:55 PM »
              Recheck your temps.

200C sounds a little hot to me as does even 200F.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 11:18:53 PM »
              According to CH Topic forum --> http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=20371.0
              for additional reference and since you are experiencing random freezes, remove and used a single RAM module when booting and check the freeze issue and swap test the other again while waiting or planning to move on to the next possible hardware/software troubleshoot. Also aside from possible damaged of said CPU while testing, try not connecting(remove LAN cable) or using the internet for any testing. 

Anderan

Topic Starter

Rookie
                « Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 01:48:34 AM »
                I'm not connected to the internet with that computer (it doesn't even have a network adapter), I've ran it with only one ram stick and have tested both sticks and they work fine.

Fed, atm it is not anywhere near 200c now, that was only until i tightened the bolt on the heatsink, now it doesn't go above about 40c.