Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Long beeps  (Read 3044 times)

ewan71

Long beeps
« on: August 14, 2005, 10:23:47 PM »
Hello. Need help on this one. Recently turned on my PIII 600mhz pc after more than a week of non-use and, instead of booting, heard long beeps instead. So, I opened the unit, detached the detachables one by one until I was able to isolate it to a defective SDRAM. After replacing it with a working ram, the pc got stuck at POST. However, after powering-off and rebooting after waiting for a few secs, the PC booted up properly. Here's the thing. Powering it up the next round, the long beeps are back again. What's happening? ???

Frankie

Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: Long beeps
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 10:44:13 PM »
    How may long beeps what bios is it. Is the keyboard pushed in and working ok.

ewan71

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 12:11:17 AM »
    Continuous, single long beeps. BIOS is Award. Don't know what version it is.  :P

ewan71

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 12:12:01 AM »
    Keyboard is ok.

Frankie

Apprentice
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 12:31:27 AM »
      Id say it was Ram. Have you made sure there is no dust around the slots and the Ram is seated properly. Is this a new stick of Ram and of the same type as your other Ram. Can you try another Ram slot. May be worth setting Bios to default settings after you have installed some other Ram.
      « Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 12:37:08 AM by Frankie »

ewan71

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 02:44:08 AM »
      I did reset the BIOS to defaults. But didnot check for dust nor reseat to another ram slot. Will try this when I get home. Thanks for the advise. :)