Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Vostro1000 fails to boot Vista  (Read 3659 times)

jims424

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Dell Vostro1000 fails to boot Vista
    « on: February 18, 2011, 09:42:17 PM »
    I have recently put in a larger HD in my Dell Vostro 1000.  After partitioning the new drive with the same size Dell driver partition,  Vista recovery partition, and larger Vista partition, I made a Ubuntu Linux partition and then several NTFS storage partitions. I then copied the MBR and Dell driver partition to the new drive with dd from Ubuntu live. Next I used Ubuntu's ntfscopy command to copy the the two Vista partitions and used ntfsresize to expand the Vista partition to the new size. Then I installed Ubuntu in the Ubuntu partition. It did not recognize the Vista partition and called it a Vista recovery program, so I adjusted the config and then the boot menu comes up correctly but the boot to Vista does nothing but a black screen.  I have a Vista recovery disk but the repair programs have not worked. I have read about BCDEDIT.EXE but don't have enough information to use it. Can someone help me?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Dell Vostro1000 fails to boot Vista
    « Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 07:16:54 AM »
    You cannot simply copy an OS to a HDD and expect it to work....this is by design.
    Don't you have a Vista CD ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jims424

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 11:30:10 AM »
      It came installed and partitioned so I could add other OS's.  Dell built the recovery partition in the HD and did not see a reason to provide a CD. :(

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 06:51:08 AM »
      That still doesn't change what i posted above...
      Travel to the Dell site for info on using the hidden recovery partition....

NOTE using it will wipe all your data and take the machine back to Day One status.

jims424

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 02:53:47 PM »
        Thanks for your time. Dell and MS  make it so difficult to upgrade a simple HD.  If they don't trust their customers why should we trust them? :(

JJ 3000

Egghead
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 03:10:13 AM »
        I have recently put in a larger HD in my Dell Vostro 1000.  After partitioning the new drive with the same size Dell driver partition,  Vista recovery partition, and larger Vista partition, I made a Ubuntu Linux partition and then several NTFS storage partitions. I then copied the MBR and Dell driver partition to the new drive with dd from Ubuntu live. Next I used Ubuntu's ntfscopy command to copy the the two Vista partitions and used ntfsresize to expand the Vista partition to the new size. Then I installed Ubuntu in the Ubuntu partition. It did not recognize the Vista partition and called it a Vista recovery program, so I adjusted the config and then the boot menu comes up correctly but the boot to Vista does nothing but a black screen.  I have a Vista recovery disk but the repair programs have not worked. I have read about BCDEDIT.EXE but don't have enough information to use it. Can someone help me?

You're making this way more complicated than it needs to be. You can copy the whole drive with one command. Instead of copying the MBR and and the different partitions separately you can just copy the whole disk with a data dump. I can verify from experience that this works with XP. I've never tried it with vista but it should be the same. I've even done this on raw unformatted drives.

What I would do:
        With the new and the old hard drives installed, boot to the Ubuntu CD and fire up gparted from the command line with sudo gparted and delete all of those partitions that you created. There is no need to format or create new partitions. You can do this later, after you've got vista going, if you want to. Remember, you have to click apply before any operations are actually carried out in gparted.

Open terminal again and do sudo fdisk -l. This will show every drive and every partition in the system. The drives will probably be /dev/sda and /dev/sdb if you only have the two hard drives installed. You should be able to tell which drive is which by the capacity and number of partitions. This is important! Pay attention to which one is the old and which is the new. Let's assume that the old hard drive is /dev/sda and the new one /dev/sdb although it may be different in your case. You want to do a data dump from the old hard drive to the new one with sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=32256. This will copy the entire contents of the old hard drive to the new one.

Notice in the example that the if is the source and the of is the destination. This is why you need to pay attention to which drive is which with your fdisk info. This will do a data dump of the binary pattern from the old drive to the new drive using the block size that I've specified. The bs=32256 is 63 512 byte sectors on your hard drive, so it will transfer the data 32256 bytes at a time instead of the default dd transfer speed of 512 bytes per transfer. This will speed up the cloning process. dd will not show any output during the transfer but you can be sure that it's working by watching the hard drive activity light on the front of your computer. Once the transfer is done you should see a report of number of transfers.

Now power down and remove the old drive. Power back up and boot to the new hard drive. It might balk the first time you try to boot to it because the serial number on the drive is different from the old one. Another cold boot should update the info and have you booting into vista.

The new larger drive will have that much more unallocated space when you look at it in disk management. You can boot back to ubuntu to install on that space or use gparted to extend that space for the vista partition.
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.
        http://www.petfinder.com/

jims424

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 11:36:15 AM »
          Hi JJ 3000,  Thanks for the idea of using dd. I am getting familiar with it. However, I have researched this on other sites that said they gave up on the bcdedit scheme and reverted to NTLDR to boot Vista. Therefore I think Vista's boot uses some different identifier for the partition to boot. (like Linux can use UUID numbers). This would keep me from booting a new HD until I could find out how to change the identifier in some program such as bcdedit. I have done an upgrade on an XP HD using the method I first wrote and it did go faster than this time with Vista.  I am weighing the options now of trying your method or NTLDR or a clean install of Vista :'(. A clean install would be an all day operation with 200G of photos and editor programs though.  Anyway I do appreciate your input and will look at it.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 04:30:41 PM »
          Why dont you simply use the HDD manuf. Free utility to clone the old drive to the new drive ? ?

jims424

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 06:18:12 PM »
            Would you explain what "HDD manuf." free utitlity is? I don't recognize it. Is it something that exists only in the recovery mode? I use XP and Linux for my computer but my wife uses Vista to store her photos and do her scrapbooking. It is her laptop that I am upgrading the HD. I said that to explain that I am a beginner in Vista.