Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 - Disconnects Geforce 8400 PCIe video card under condition  (Read 2403 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Trying to figure out how to disable Windows 7 from disabling my Geforce 8400 video card when I am playing video games on the Windows 7 system and then use the KVM to switch to my XP system to look up strategy guides etc. When this system was Windows XP, I never had this issue, but ever since the upgrade to Windows 7 32 bit, this system will make a da-dum sound similar to when you unplug a USB device and its disabling the video card. *If the system is running 1024x768 resolution under normal windows in a non gaming environment, i can switch back and forth between the 2 systems with the kvm and not have it disable (disconnect) my video card.

So the temporary (work around) fix is to Windows Key to get back to desktop, then use the kvm, then it wont disconnect my video card. I have confirmed also that when it disconnects my PCIe geforce 8400 video card that it enables the on board internal gpu and the geforce 8400 card just sits idle. This has been very frustrating until I found the work around, that I could windows key back to desktop out of the games and avoid windows 7 from disconnecting the video card when using my kvm that uses SCROLL LOCK TWICE then ESC KEY to switch between systems, however I am checking to see if anyone knows of a way to disable Windows 7 from making the video card detachable like a USB device, since its doing the stupid da-dum sound and disabling it????

To get the geforce 8400 working again I have to reboot it, usually by single push of power button which has been set to proper shutdown upon single press of power button.