Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Back-up on External HD  (Read 3058 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Back-up on External HD
    « on: February 20, 2011, 06:55:12 PM »
    I'm trying to understand how to do this. I have read that there are 3 methods: create a drive image, back-up to external HD or use on-line service. I do not understand the first one. I can buy or get free software which creates a drive image but where is that image stored, on an external HD?

I have WinXP which already has a back-up wizard installed. If I buy an external HD and use the WinXP back-up software, will that be as good as using a drive image software?

Thanks for your help.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Back-up on External HD
    « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 07:16:07 PM »
    Image back-up is super simple. Just make an image to the external drive.

The MS Backup is more formal and requires understanding of how it works. It can, potentially, reduce the amount of drive space needed on the external drive for progressive  incremental backups. If you use it that way. Good for a business environment where it may be necessary to recovery an old  file from two or three weeks ago.

http://www.partition-tool.com/      Has a free tool that can also be used to make a copy of a partition to another drive.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 04:07:03 AM »
      Thanks Geek. My HD is partitioned: C has 177GB, 21.1 used and D (recovery) has 8.83GB, 8.28 used. I'm not sure what is on D because I also have recovery CD's that were made when I bought the PC.  Are these the right steps in the right order?

1. Buy new external HD

2. Partition ext HD using recommended software

3. Create images of C and D drives

4. Transfer images to ext HD

I have read here that Macrium Reflect is free and good enough for what I want. Do you agree?

How big should my ext HD be? What is the best brand?

Will the Macrium Reflect automatically update the back-up?

Finally, I have read that you can really screw up by doing a "reverse" back-up where you transfer a blank image from your new ext HD to your PC thereby erasing all of your files.  How can I make sure this doesn't happen to me?

Thank-you very much.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 05:41:17 AM »
      You do not need third party software to partition a new drive (though you certainly can use a 3rd party app if you prefer). Simply do it through Disk Management.

You do not "transfer" the images to the external drive. When you create the image you create it on the external drive. The imaging software app will allow you to save the image to any connected medium you choose (cd, dvd, internal drive, external drive, etc).

Macrium Reflect is probably your best choice as a free app.

Size of the drive is up to you, as is the brand. Just stick with a name you know (ie, WD, Seagate, etc).

As for updating the backup, I use Acronis True Image so I'm not sure of Macrium's options. But with True Image you have the choice of creating a full backup or an incremental backup. The latter will append changes to the original image. I prefer to just create a new image weekly and I always keep the two or three most current images (just in case one of them is corrupted). When you create images be sure to use the "verify" option. It will take longer, but it confirms the image is both accurate and good.

Never heard of a reverse backup. Stop listening to idiots.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 06:54:09 AM »
        Thanks Allan. After I use Disk Management to partition my new external drive, I will use a 3rd party imaging software to create back-up images on it. I assume it will take two steps. First I will create a back-up image of my C drive and then I will create a back-up image of my D (recovery) drive. Since my recovery CD disks are 3 or 4 years old and have never been used, I don't know if they are ok or not.

Am I right in assuming I should back-up my D drive? The OS is in my C drive, right?

Geek said the MS back-up wizard requires a level of understanding to use. This scares me as I understand very little. However, in looking at the wizard, it seems pretty straightforward. What are the main advantages of using Acronis True Image as opposed to the MS back-up wizard already installed on my computer?

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 07:01:58 AM »
        I've never used the backup wizard, but I can't imagine it's difficult to do so.  I'm a big fan of disk imaging software and always recommend it to anyone who will listen. Acronis True Image and Macrium Reflect are both imaging apps - True Image is not free, Reflect is. You can go to their websites and see their respective advantages.

As for backup up your recovery drive, I see no need to do that - but if you do, just once will be enough. Creating regular images of your c: drive will provide all the protection you need.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 07:19:03 AM »
          If I don't back-up D there will be no need to partition my new external HD.  I see that C is NTFS and D is FAT32. Does that signify anything that is important?

I will not back-up D because you have never steered me wrong. Out of curiosity, what is on D and what would it be used for? Is it the info that is on my recovery CD's?

I think the MS wizard  transfers files which is slow and subject to errors whereas True Image and Reflect create images which are fast and accurate. Of course, I have no idea what I am saying here - just trying to give my understanding of what I have read.

When I download True Image, do I put it on my new ext HD?

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 07:23:32 AM »
          There would be no need to partition the external drive anyway. Different images do not need to be placed on different partitions. Just give them a name you will recognize if you ever need to restore them. What I do is create a folder on my external drive named: True Image Backups. In that folder a sub-folders for each drive (ie, c drive, d drive, etc). When I create the images I name them something like: c drive Feb 21, 2011.

Yes, I would assume d: drive is what is on your recovery disks.

Again, when you create the image(s) always choose the option to VERIFY.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 08:09:13 AM »
            OK, I think I am 99.5% there. I have only one more question before I attempt to back-up my files. I plan to format the new external drive in NTFS. If I decide to back-up my D (Recovery), do I need to do anything because it is in FAT32? Thanks.

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 08:24:30 AM »
            No.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 08:25:04 AM »
            Instead of backing up the Recovery partition travel to the manuf. site and follow the directions for creating bootable Recovery CD's...make 2 copies if it allows it and store 1 off-site.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "