Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Failure while loading windows xp  (Read 3249 times)

cwweb

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Failure while loading windows xp
    « on: February 22, 2011, 06:00:58 AM »
    I have a Dell Dimension E520 running windows XP I power up and get the POST screen everything looks good there then I get windows loading screen then I hear a click and the screen goes black, no error codes or anything. The power button is still lit on the computer but nothing responds, have to power it off and back on then same thing happens. I can boot into safe mode with networking and it works. I ran the Dell utility disk that came with it and it said the memory was bad, it had 2 1gig installed, so I ordered new memory board, installed it the system recognized it but still failed to load. I tried to do a restore but it says there are no restore points. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Failure while loading windows xp
    « Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 06:08:33 AM »
    When you hear the click, does the power light on the display remain the same color?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    « Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 08:55:28 PM »
    I hear a click and the screen goes black
    I can boot into safe mode with networking and it works
    Check your BIOS settings(if either one option is available) and try disabling setting(s)or similarly to any of these:
    Video Cacheable, Video Shadow, Video RAM Cacheable, Write Combining, Address range shadowing, Memory Write Posting. Check also Primary Display(PCI or AGP).

cwweb

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 12:05:22 PM »
      light stays the same, green.

michelsmith

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 12:57:15 AM »
        Many of the error messages encountered while installing Windows XP can be attributed to a conflict with your computer's hardware. Unfortunately, as the problems are many, there's no one solution that's a sure fix. Some of the most common hardware conflicts come from mass storage devices. This could be an incompatible hard drive, motherboard or any number of other components. It may also be as simple as a connected USB device so if anything is plugged into one of your computer's USB ports, unplug it before trying again.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 01:30:00 AM »
        Check your BIOS settings(if either one option is available) and try disabling setting(s)or similarly to any of these:
        Video Cacheable, Video Shadow, Video RAM Cacheable, Write Combining, Address range shadowing, Memory Write Posting. Check also Primary Display(PCI or AGP).

cwweb

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 04:32:56 AM »
          Update: Nothing helped so I decided to reinstall windows XP, I cleared and partitioned C: drive and installed windows now I get the message--Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

I checked the boot process in setup and the hard drive is in the list. Please help I don't know what else to do.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 05:32:10 AM »

Wyngs

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 12:16:43 AM »
            I got a host of problems after installing IE8, including no boot. Had to boot from the recovery console setting. I uninstalled IE8, but once in a while still get a boot failure.